Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester super x3 or sxp turkey hunter?

Started by bigbird, April 03, 2014, 10:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

I'm wanting to get a new shotgun for next year. For those of you that use either of these guns gimme your pros and cons. I like the x3 but don't like that cantilever on there! Does it get in the way if your an open sight shooter? Just lay it out there! I don't want any opinions just facts, if you've had one or use for turkey's I want your input! Thanks

IowaGobblers

I had a sx3 for a couple of years and never had a single problem. I used a b-square mount and a red dot so I can't help ya there. Great gun all around.
Hope my  :z-twocents: helped.  Good luck

d.winsor

Winchester SX3 makes a SX3 Universal Hunter, it is a camo gun that is drilled and tapped, it has a vent rib and tru glow fiber optic front sight.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=017C&mid=511148

I have the SX3 NWTF and I love it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: bigbird on April 03, 2014, 10:21:18 PM
  I'm wanting to get a new shotgun for next year. For those of you that use either of these guns gimme your pros and cons. I like the x3 but don't like that cantilever on there! Does it get in the way if your an open sight shooter? Just lay it out there! I don't want any opinions just facts, if you've had one or use for turkey's I want your input! Thanks
The SX3 is a great gun. I got one early on and have put hundreds of rounds through it. It's very reliable and the I+ barrel is very well made and helps to produce excellent patterns.

I don't care for cantilevered barrels. With the standard gun you have lots of options and that's the one I'd choose.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kwild835

I would look at the SX3 coyote model.  It has 24" barrel and no cantilever barrel.  I would get the 20 and some fed heavyweights, be a sweet turk gun.  I have the universal hunter SX3 in 20 gauge and love it.

bigbird

:drool: very good call kwild! I didn't see that before. That would be a sweet gun.

d.winsor

What do you want to use this gun for, I looked at the info on the coyote model.  It is not a back bored barrel from what I can see, You might call winchester and see what size choke is installed in it, just guessing I would think it would be for coyote.  Go to link in my post above and go to products, SX3, Coyote.

wingbonehntr

I have a sx3 universal hunter 26" barrel
I have a Burris fflll on top and love it.

kwild835

Quote from: d.winsor on April 04, 2014, 12:16:50 PM
What do you want to use this gun for, I looked at the info on the coyote model.  It is not a back bored barrel from what I can see, You might call winchester and see what size choke is installed in it, just guessing I would think it would be for coyote.  Go to link in my post above and go to products, SX3, Coyote.
It says on website description it is backbored and uses invector plus chokes.

ChiefBubba

They're coming out with a new bottom land camo gun that is my next gun in 20 gauge. Chief

d.winsor

Quote from: kwild835 on April 04, 2014, 02:12:58 PM

I looked up on winchesterguns.com on SX3, products, coyote, and it didn't say it was backbored, what link did you use.  Here it is
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=017C&mid=511162

kwild835

Quote from: d.winsor on April 04, 2014, 04:30:54 PM
Quote from: kwild835 on April 04, 2014, 02:12:58 PM

I looked up on winchesterguns.com on SX3, products, coyote, and it didn't say it was backbored, what link did you use.  Here it is
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=017C&mid=511162

d.winsor

No where on that link does it say it is backbored, if it were my money and I were buying it and wanted a backbored barrel I would verify it with winchester first.

kwild835

It's on the side under "active valve" and "SX3", it says "BACKBORED" in red.  Don't see why Winchester would put out a SX3 with a totally different barrel from other SX3's?

d.winsor

That is really obscured, like it is almost hidden.  All the other SX3 models have it right up front you don't have to hunt for it, I still think if it were my money I would have to call winchester and ask them, of course that is just me.  Once you buy it you own it backbored or not.  Some things don't shoot well out of a backbored barrel.  The coyote almost looks like a slug gun to me.