OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Memeber

Started by dmc, April 03, 2014, 05:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmc

First post for me.  I came over from aldeer.  Have been reading on here for a few months and figured i would post.  I won a 3 day Kansas turkey hunt for 2015 and was hoping for some info.  I have never hunted outside of Alabama or with an outfitter.  The hunt is being done by Horseshoe hill outfitters in SE Kansas.  I figured i would have a better chance of finding someone with experience or info on this site than aldeer.  Anybody ever hunted with them or heard anything about them?  Its free so obviously i'm not real picky but i was trying to get some buddies to go with me and they would have to pay so i was hoping to not get them screwed over.  Also the dates i can choose from are april 12-15th, 27-30 or may 1-4.  I am guessing earlier the better with an outfitter but also didn't know when the kansas birds got fired up. Would prefer early May since our season ends at the end of April.  But would rather have the best hunting, whenever that would be.  any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gooserbat

First  :welcomeOG:

Second:  I would opt for the May hunt.  Just because the hens are less likely to be a factor and if it's a reputable outfitter then hunting pressure wouldn't have been an issue.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

captin_hook

:welcomeOG:
You've come to the right place. Surely someone here will know about the place you're talking about.

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

lonnie sneed jr.

renegade19

BigStrutter

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

Ctburdchasr

Hunting with an outfitter is a bit different obviously there is a customer businessman relationship, the majority of outfitters are "hunter mentality" meaning they are good old boys at heart.  That being said when bringing friends I learned on a spring bear hunt in Idaho with little lost outfitters, ( I highly recommend Corey Dailey out there) call them and ask about individual guides. Acreage/areas they hunt. If they hunt private land or public with one or multiple guides, two guides will usually split up you and any buddies at least during hunting times. Private land will increase late season trophies while public will usually mean a more challenging hunt towards the later part of the year. He majority of outfitters will be more an happy to work with you on any requests you have. Remember it is their job to get you a quality memory and a decent chance at success. The kill and the trophies are all on you. I wish you good luck I sincerely hope you and all your buddies tag out with a memorable trophy.

memert116

slamman

hs strut

may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

TnRidgeRunner

Welcome, new member myself. Great group of guys. Have a blast in KS man... not something that comes along every day.

tomstopper

DirtNap647

Mike Honcho

In 2015 shotgun season starts on April 15