OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

strange behavior

Started by Spitten and drummen, April 03, 2014, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

finally heard 2 birds gobble on the limb a total of 5 times. I got on them and set up. after they had flown down I did a little soft calling and a hen started up in the creek bottom. before very long I had 3 hens about 25 yards. they clucked,purred, and soft yelped for 20 min. all around me. I had my gun and my knee and expected a gobbler to come in strutting behind them any second. needless to say , they eventually wandered off. never heard drumming or any gobbles. what im trying to figure out is whats going on with these birds. 3 hens feeding alone this time of the year and no gobblers. anybody got any input on what may be going on. the gobblers really didn't respond to my calling or the 3 live girls that was cutting up. im wondering if they are that far behind this year due to all this un seasonable weather. thoughts?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

Our birds here are running behind schedule.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

Yeah, its been a looong time since i have seen them this far behind. Maybe another week or 2. Who knows.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

slamman

maybe tomorrow you never know with these darned birds.

hs strut

today was the first day that they really responded hear
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

bmhern

Where I hunt I've heard 1 bird gobble in the last week. The bird I killed 2 weeks ago never gobbled. On the other hand my hunting buddy hunts about 3 miles from me, I went with him last week and we heard 6 different birds, I don't have a clue what's going on.

hs strut

sounds like there acting strange everywhere
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

TnRidgeRunner

Middle TN, Saturday:2 birds gobbling on roost, Sunday 13 birds Gobbling nonstop till 11am, monday and tuesday maybe 10gobbles total and I was out there all day both days.

hs strut

they been quiet as church mice for the most part here in westmoreland today was the first day we had a good gobble goin

DirtNap647

believe they are a little behind in pa as well

Spitten and drummen

A quick follow up for this thread. Eased in this morning and heard 2 gobbling on the limb about 200 yards apart. They hit the ground and continued to gobble. I got in about 60 yards from one. A little soft yelps, clucks and leaf scratching and they seemed to not even acknowledge me. Two hens walked by me at about 15 yards. They were yelping and cutting but the 2 gobblers paid them no mind. They would answer each other but nothing else. They never went to each other, each stayed on their own little ridge. It was like the hens wasnt paying them no attention and the gobblers wasnt paying them any attention. Finally they stopped gobbling around 9. I stayed with them until 2 this afternoon and never saw either one. I cannot figure out what is going on. Anybody got any idea?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

L.F. Cox

Nothing strange...they are just being turkeys.

contagious

The gobblers may have thier own hens.Lots of lady birds out there.!!!!!!!!!!1

budtripp

They seem a couple weeks behind schedule here in Missouri too. Not much gobbling. Did see a couple strutters on my way home from work last night. Years like this I'm kinda glad our season opens as late as it does. Means they should be acting right by time season starts. Maybe

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: contagious on April 06, 2014, 10:51:39 AM
The gobblers may have thier own hens.Lots of lady birds out there.!!!!!!!!!!1
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"