turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

H & R 12 gauge turkey gun

Started by tnanh, April 02, 2014, 09:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnanh

I have an H & R 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch turkey gun I just bought. Gun looks brand new. It is unbelievable how well it shoots the 3 1/2 inch long beards through the Hastings .660 Compensator choke. The problem is it will not eject them. I have not shot any other ammo through it yet because it shoots the Longbeard 4s,5s and 6s so well. Any suggestions on what to do to fix the problem. The ejector looks fine. I was thinking about polishing the chamber but do not want to make it shoot any differently. Please advise.

Ky Gobbler

I have the same problem out of my New England  with a 3" chamber. It usually just hangs up on the 3" shells. I enjoyed turkey hunting with it but I've decided against it because if the possible hang ups. I've considered carrying a cleaning rod to push them out if it hangs up.

nickp

When I had one that did the same thing I would bring a long stick to pop the shell out (minimal noise as well).  Polishing that portion of the barrel should not cause any change in pattern and hey, it is worth a shot.

highwaygun

I own seven h&r single shot and have never had any issue with the shell not ejecting. I think it needs a good cleaning and I have also seen posts saying the LB's hulls were scorched some after the shot. That might be the issue.

Kilchis

I looked up the H&R Pardner on the net, checked out the owner's manual, and it does show an "Ejector" and an "Ejector Spring."  (As opposed to an extractor.) If you have a Pardner,  it may be that your ejector spring is broken.

You might try shooting a couple of other makes of ammo to check ejection.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tnanh on April 02, 2014, 09:37:55 AM
I have an H & R 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch turkey gun I just bought. Gun looks brand new. It is unbelievable how well it shoots the 3 1/2 inch long beards through the Hastings .660 Compensator choke. The problem is it will not eject them. I have not shot any other ammo through it yet because it shoots the Longbeard 4s,5s and 6s so well. Any suggestions on what to do to fix the problem. The ejector looks fine. I was thinking about polishing the chamber but do not want to make it shoot any differently. Please advise.

Normally polishing a chamber is not a good idea from a safety standpoint but thoroughly cleaning it can be a good idea.

Some guns just don't eject a particular shell well but may do just fine with another brand. It's something else to check.

Lastly, have you looked at the brass on a shell after you've poked one out. I'd examine the brass to see it has expanded. That can also be a cause of the problem.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

tnanh

A spent Longbeard hull is tighter going in than a live longbeard round. It will eject an unspent round over your right shouler so I don't think it is the spring. I will shoot another brand in it this weekend to see. I will also clean it good. It is unbelievable how this gun shoots the Longbeard 3 1/2. It has a Hastings Compensator .660 choke in it and puts 141 in the 10 inch at 40 with 4s. I was amazed. With 6s it does a little over 200 but I like the numberss and patterns with 4s. Really dont want to change ammo. Thanks for all the comments.

tnanh

Shot ot again today. Same problem. Will eject every kind of turkey shell I have from 3 to 3/12 with no problem but will not eject the longbeard even the 3 inch. Today is the first time I had shot anything oth :fud:er than the longbeard in it. It definitely patterns them well but the brass seem to come out a little bigger than it was before being shot. Guess I can still hunt with it and pretend it is a muzzleloader. I have not shot the Longbeard in any of my other guns yet.

bencattin

My H&R really like the Turkey Thug shells. It shoots the 6 and the 5 shot very well. Have not tried the 4 shot.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!