OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I guess I got jarred....

Started by reflexl, April 02, 2014, 08:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

Went hunting before work this morning knowing the birds were accross the river. I have called them accross before........... So I set up and start calling. One of those big contra bass Tn birds starts heading toward the river singing as he comes. What I have learned in the past from calling them accross is that real hens that want their boy frined to cross the river will start out with a series of really fast sharp clucks and go right into a yelp. I observed this from two live hens a few years ago and immediately added the call to my turkey vocabulary. As soon as the birds hit the river go conservitive. It works about 50% of the time. This morning as old Tom was headed toward me someone hunting accross the river heard us and figured out what was going on. He gotin between me and teh bird and I called the bird right in front of him. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! The end. reflexl

Ctburdchasr

Yeah you did, That happens alot up here in Connecticut due to the small plots of land we have to hunt if we are not hunting public.
It sucks to have someone else prosper from your hard work but it is part of the game guess.

Better luck next time.

reflexl

Gooserbat

It happens.  Just hope it was a kid and he killed his first, and maybe karma is on your side.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

appalachianstruttstopper

I got a good chuckle out of a situation like this once. Never did know who the other guy was.

Illini Tom

ha. thats happened to me a few times trying to coax one off the neighbors' property and somebody cuts him off at the fenceline  :'(  :P

memert116

part of the deal I guess but it's good you can shake it off and find the humor in it......wishing good things your way.... :icon_thumright:

jakesdad

Have had it happen before.....kinda ticked me off at first but then kinda chuckled about and figured "well he's done and i'm still huntin and got the whole place to myself now".I don't think he'd of done had he known I was the one calling.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

870FaceLift

Quote from: jakesdad on April 02, 2014, 12:48:08 PM
"well he's done and i'm still huntin and got the whole place to myself now".

That's a good perspective to take.
Pass it on...

paintbrush

Kinda had the same thing happen to me a couple years back over in Wisconsin.I was on one side of the creek that was to wide to cross due to high water and the bird was gobbling over on the other side of the creek maybe 70 yards or so back from the edge up on a old logging road. That bird would gobble at anything I threw his way. He would go back and forth on that logging road maybe going a hundred yards either way from across from me.  On his 4th trip along that road, when he got to the end where he would turn around and start coming back to me, BOOM!!  I never did lay eyes on that turkey nor see the guy who shot that bird, but whoever shot him did holler down a "THANK YOU" to me.

captin_hook

I hate being cut off. It's happened to me before.

DirtNap647

slamman

come hunt Arizona we don't have many rivers and you can shoot across any rivers we do have.   ;D

steveo

Yeah it happens, plenty of times but for me would rather that happen then being stalked ! Last year caught movement 60 yards to my right and noticed a guy with a gun pointed in my direction !!! You talk about mad/ scared ! Was afraid to even yell for fear he would shoot, lucky he realized his mistake and backed out real quick!.

steveo

Yeah it happens, plenty of times but for me would rather that happen then being stalked ! Last year caught movement 60 yards to my right and noticed a guy with a gun pointed in my direction !!! You talk about mad/ scared ! Was afraid to even yell for fear he would shoot, lucky he realized his mistake and backed out real quick!.