Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Gather around

Started by WV Ridge Reaper, April 01, 2014, 07:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Ridge Reaper

Well boys while getting my ears lowered yesterday the barber asked if I had been out listening for any ol gobblers.

I replied no,he went on to say that the hear say was..The are starting to warm up.

So I ventured out this morning with my pap who is 77 btw..We went to my listening spot,I can usually hear for a good ways from this place and it's a good spot to do some locator calls.

We got out and a few owls started to cut loose,it wasn't long at 6:30 I heard my first bird of 2014..He was a long ways off but you know that last little bit of a gobble you can always hear.

I stood around until about 7 while they was sounding off to crows and owls..I walked on out a ridge to get a better location on a bird while pap stayed back and maned the truck.

I got back and he told me that he had heard one across the road which lit my eyes up,as I have permission to that ground.

Funny part of the morning was when the owls started cutting loose my pap said welp someone else is owl hooting..which they wasn't..He said I gotta change the battery's in my hearing aid haha.

We did stop along the road a few places on the way home and tried some locators but nothing was heard.

I just got my gun patterned yesterday,it's not as impressive as some but for the little bit of money I have in it I was impressed.

Also have a Lonnie Sneed hot hen on the way,my buddy has it..I just have to meet up with him and get it.I will be counting on that call and Drew's hooked call this year...My Halloran just don't sound the same since it came back...Drew If your reading this,I can't wait for season to start..I'm excited to use it.

turkeykiller22

That sounds like an awesome morning with pap! Glad you were able to locate and see some birds! Good luck!

Glad you like that call as well! I hope that many birds die for you while using that call! Good luck in the spring woods! Remember patience kills turkeys!!

-Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

WV Ridge Reaper

Indeed patience goes a long ways,I learned that last year.

I started following you on IG today..I done used your hashtag yesterday for my pattern pics..Mine is Gasparro304,you should follow back!!