Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is a Pump the Best All-Around Platform for a Turkey Rig?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, April 01, 2014, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I think so.  I'm sure many others do too.  You have a quick follow-up shot, and it is a platform that deals well with the rain, dirt, sticks, seeds, and crud you encounter in the woods.  Screw-in Choke Threads come standard, so just choose your choke and shell and go hunt.

My preference would be either an 870 or a BPS, but the 835 is also an attractive option.  I just believe that a Pump makes the perfect Turkey Rig.

DirtNap647

I like a pump myself I recall a thread on here last year saying about a pump hitting harder down range not sure but I think most agreed...just another thought

Skeeterbait

Auto can take a little recoil off your shoulder, faster follow up without additional noise of racking the slide.  But frankly most of the time you only need the one shot anyway.  Much lower cost on the pump and achieve as good of patterns.  Better reliability with less maintenance.  But then a double barrel O/U would give you the fast follow up shot and the ability to set up seperate barrels for near and far, and lower weight.  Best reliability of all platforms.  Point is... I don't think there is a clear winner.

jblackburn

I'm a pump man, myself, but some of the newer autoloaders seem nice and more reliable than some used to be.  But if I was going to get a different platform, it would be an O/U.  I like having a follow up shot, but the 3rd shell is just for spite (normally).  I like the idea of having one barrel with a tight choke and a load of HTL, and the other with maybe a full with a load of lead. If he stands at 35-40, bust with HTL, if he comes in close, bust the lead on him.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

WyoHunter

I'll take my Berettas. Very reliable semi-autos that I've only ever had to shoot twice at a bird. The first shot was a miss (my fault) and the second was a kill.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

d.winsor

I have 3 - 870 guns, two are turkey guns, used since 1992.  This year I purchased a SX3 NWTF, put a .665 choke in and patterned it, I won't be using my 870's anymore even though I do like them.

Gooserbat

I'm with Joey,  I've thought long and hard for the past couple years about dropping the coin on a Browning Cynergy 3.5" and setting it up with a field barrel and a woods barrel but hey when the total package would run $1700+ I just cant justify retiring the 870.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

memert116

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 01, 2014, 03:39:20 PM
I'll take my Berettas. Very reliable semi-autos that I've only ever had to shoot twice at a bird. The first shot was a miss (my fault) and the second was a kill.

I'm with you about my Beretta.....

TJK68

I like my pumps, but I agree on what has been said about the O/U and Semi-Auto's. All will do the job, I guess all in what you get comfortable shooting.

BandedSpur

Nope....6.75# 12 ga O/U
Dirt cheap lead load with good pattern spread for anything inside 30 and TSS 9s for anything from 30 to...well nevermind.

kwild835

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 02, 2014, 08:14:19 AM
Nope....6.75# 12 ga O/U
Dirt cheap lead load with good pattern spread for anything inside 30 and TSS 9s for anything from 30 to...well nevermind.

Sweet set up!  Gun just looks like it hates turkeys!

appalachianstruttstopper

I have several pump turkey guns, 870 12 ga, 870 20 ga, 535, 835, BPS, Ithaca 37. But to be honest, a pump might as well be a single barrel that holds shells in it for me. I can never remember to rack another shell in after shooting. I have practiced and practiced, but I grew up doing 5 stand shoots with a 1100 lt 20 and an Auto 5. I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Follow up shots don't happen with me anymore since I sold my auto loader so I had better concentrate on the first shot and watch them flop.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

You O/U guys do have a point.  One Barrel and Choke for 30 and In, and another for 30 and Out.

That's a strong arguement.

Dtrkyman

I am a semi auto guy, if it can handle waterfowl hunting without issue I sure am not worried about turkey hunting causing a malfunction!

Ultimately I think the o/u with two different chokes for short to mid range and one for reaching out is for sure a great rig, just do not forget which barrel is the tight one!

WildTigerTrout

Pump shotguns make excellent turkey hunting platforms but IMO the semi-auto is better. I own both pumps and autoloaders but the shotgun I carry the most is my Benelli SBE I autoloader.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!