News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I just finished my new call for the 2014 season

Started by | Justin |, April 01, 2014, 12:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

| Justin |

Hey guys,

I've been making pot calls for a little while now (as a hobby for myself and friends).  This year I decided to put up an add on Craigslist and see if anyone nearby would be interested in having me build them one.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the number of requests I have received, and thought I'd share one that I just finished last night, which I actually made for myself.

The base is laminated wenge, maple and lacewood and the top is a segmented ring consisting of maple and wenge with a 1/8" piece of maple separating the two halves, with a slate soundboard and a crystal surface.  The striker is hickory.

Soundfiles
Segmented call shown in this post - crystal over slate
Zebrawood/Wenge/Padauk - slate over glass

Hope you guys like it, and any constructive criticism is welcomed.
-Justin

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

longbeard11

One of the most beautiful calls I have ever seen!! Amazing work, you should be proud!

| Justin |

Thanks guys... that means a lot.  I've had my share of hobbies throughout the years, but this is one that I truly enjoy.  Very rewarding.

longbeard11

How much you sell your calls for? A call like this one.

| Justin |

Quote from: longbeard11 on April 01, 2014, 02:17:47 PM
How much you sell your calls for? A call like this one.

I have been selling them for a flat rate of $60 (call + hickory striker) or $50 for just a call.  This is the first time I've made one with the segmented top, but I haven't been changing my prices based on design or components (even with the more expensive woods like wenge).

[EDIT] I didn't mention this before, as all of my previous sales had been done locally, but since I have received a few PMs regarding calls, I would ask that you please include $5.00 (per call) to help out with shipping costs [/EDIT]

Being that this is a hobby of mine and not a real source of income that I need to rely on or budget, I feel like these are pretty generous prices.  I really didn't do much homework on what other call makers charge, though... this may be in the same ballpark.

| Justin |

Here's a pic of a few of the calls I've sold at that rate:

Left to right:
Wenge/maple/lacewood
Zebrawood/wenge/padauk
Wenge/maple/padauk

longbeard11

wow!! gorgeous!! 

I have already bought more than my share of calls this spring for my collection but maybe later this summer or next year I will be able to get one from you. I definitely will be looking you up for one of those. Love them!

| Justin |

Quote from: longbeard11 on April 01, 2014, 02:34:23 PM
wow!! gorgeous!! 

I have already bought more than my share of calls this spring for my collection but maybe later this summer or next year I will be able to get one from you. I definitely will be looking you up for one of those. Love them!

I hear you... I have more calls than I know what to do with as well :)

I'd be happy to make one for you at anytime, and if I have by any chance increased my rates at the time when you're in the market, I'll honor the price I mentioned to you here. 

Thanks again for the compliments.

Spitten and drummen

what all surfaces are you using and sure would like a soundfile of one. they are beautiful calls though
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

| Justin |

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2014, 03:29:01 PM
what all surfaces are you using and sure would like a soundfile of one. they are beautiful calls though

These are slate or crystal surfaces, though I have also made calls with glass and blasted crystal, (I haven't tried making any aluminum or copper calls yet).  I generally am using glass or slate soundboards, but have made a few with wooden sounboards in the past as well.

Later this evening when my kids aren't running around screaming like crazy people I'll try and record a couple soundfiles.  I haven't tried doing this yet, but I'd imagine the voice recorder app on my phone will get the job done relatively accurately.

Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

MikeStaten

If they sound half as good as they look you are going to get a lot more orders.

Muzzy61

Man, those are beautiful. I'm intrested in hearing a sound file also. Like Mike said if they sound half as good as they look. I may need to get one.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

| Justin |

The things this thread is doing for my self esteem...  Thanks guys.