turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need Choke Reccomendations

Started by Chilly, April 01, 2014, 11:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

I am wanting to improve the pattern on my Rem 1100.  It has a 21" barrel and the forcing cones have been cut.  I have a .570 Remington Turkey choke for it now.  I am wanting to shoot Federal HW in 3" loads #6 or #7 with 1.5oz of shot. 
From your experience or what you have seen, what choke would you reccomend for these loads and this combination?
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

gophert

What does the .570 look like? 

Chilly

It puts about 100 pellets in the 10 using the 6's.  I just feel like I should be able to make it do better than that. 

gophert

I would say that with 7's the average would be right around 130 so I don't think you are too far off with those 6's. 

Chilly

Just wondering how much a sumtoy would help?  I see that a lot of people on here are shooting one of those.

R AJ

In #7s a Sumtoy may increase by 40-60 pellets, maybe more , maybe less but definitely better pattern density and pattern coverage. Get the 562-5 for the Fed HW #7 load and the 562-3 for a Hevi-13 #7 load.

This choke can also give some really strong lead patterns at 30 yards in #6 Federal FC or pre flite conrol loads. Definitely a good choice and pattern.

WyoHunter

Carlsons .575 choke works well in my Beretta Urika 20 ga with Fed HWT 7's.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

wmd

May not help at all, but you won't know unless you try it.  I have not shot a SumToy, but I have two 1187s with 21" barrels that I have shot every commercial HTL shell out of with various chokes.  In one I shoot a .562 Hastings and get over 160 with Fed HW 7.  Same choke/load in my other one blows the pattern and will sometimes barely break 100. I tried progressively more open chokes and finally stopped with a Carlsons .575.  With the HW 7s I get around 150 and with the HW 6s the best I got was 117.