turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Roosting birds

Started by StrutStopper_71, April 01, 2014, 08:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrutStopper_71

I went to a spot yesterday evening to a spot I have not hunted yet, but I know he is there because I heard him a week before the season. Well any way long story short it rained bad here Friday and Saturday but walking in yesterday, there were fresh tracks and strut marks in a sandy road so I know he has been here since Sunday after the rain. I hoot a couple of times and nothing! I can count on one hand how many gobblers I have gotten to gobble on the limb in the afternoon. The birds we killed on opening morning we heard fly up but they dang sure didn't gobble that evening before. So I guess what I'm wondering is it just me or what these florida eastern's don't like to gobble on the limb in the afternoon. Has anyone else just not had very good luck in the evenings. I have no problems in the mornings if they are there they just have to gobble at my hootin stick! But then I'm running behind in the morning trying to get to them because these birds roost in a general area but dang sure not in the same tree!

longbeard11

That is very normal. I have gone out many times here in WV to listen in the evenings and not been able to get a turkey to gobble. Then go in the next morning in the same place and they will be tearing the woods down.  Just depends on their mood.

I have been able to successfully roost some birds different places in the evening before on really nice calm evenings, but it just seems to be hit and miss. 

DirtNap647

Quote from: longbeard11 on April 01, 2014, 08:32:20 AM
That is very normal. I have gone out many times here in WV to listen in the evenings and not been able to get a turkey to gobble. Then go in the next morning in the same place and they will be tearing the woods down.  Just depends on their mood.

I have been able to successfully roost some birds different places in the evening before on really nice calm evenings, but it just seems to be hit and miss. 
x2

WNM

Usually similar here, but I have been having birds sound off 2-10 times on their own the last few afternoons.

longbeard11

Like I said, some evenings they dont make a peep and other evenings they will gobble their brains out! its hit and miss.

I have had multiple evenings that gobblers would gobble at everything and have heard him gobble up to 200 times before fly up. lol.  Really just depends. 

Tommy Strutsalot

Yeah for the most part I don't hear much PM gobbling and I rarely try to locate them in the PM in that way.  Most of the time I just sit very very quietly and do not move an inch, and if you're in the general area you'll hear em fly up. 

However, one time last year at camp I was passed out on the couch about 7:00 pm or so and my buddy came runnin in from fishing and pretty much smacked me in the face to wake up.  He said you gotta come out here and hear this.  I stepped outside and on the mountain we hunt they were going absolutely insane.  I have never heard so much gobbling in such a short amount of time.  They were just on fire.  It reminded me of "the wave" at a baseball game, it would start at one end of the mountain and just fire all the way down the line to the other end.  It was pretty neat, but like you said I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've had em fired up gobblin in PM. 

StrutStopper_71

Yeah like I said I've been able to get a few to respond but not many over the years but as I mentioned in the mornings it's a different ball game most of the time. I was just wondering if everybody else had the same results as me and sounds like they do. Now I did hunt a bird one time that would gobble right before fly up and on the limb way better then he ever did in the mornings it seemed like.

goosetalk

I usually have no problem here in Missouri.  More times than not, I can hear them or get them to gobble a few times in the evening as long as the weather is good.  At least half of my birds have came from roosting them in the evening and getting in tight very, very early.  You may want to try something other than a hoot owl.  Maybe a wood duck squeal or peacock call.