turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good public land experiences?

Started by Struttin Spurs, March 30, 2014, 08:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Struttin Spurs

Most of the time when people mentioning running into other hunters on public land they talk about the negative encounters. However I feel like the negatives are really exaggerated sometimes. So what are some of the more positive experiences you guys have had?

Last year me and a couple buddies hunted public and overall had a great experience. Opening morning we ran into a guy setup on the edge of a field (it was before daylight so we didn't see his set up). We apologized and went the other way. He had said he had roosted one there the night before and invited us to join his setup if we wanted. We politely declined and went elsewhere just out of curtesy. It was still nice of the guy to offer though. Anyways, we saw him getting into his truck a couple hours later with a jake. We gave congrats and high fives, he told us good luck and we went separate ways.
Overall it was just a nice, friendly, encounter which restored my faith in that there are still good people around willing to share and be kind. Sometimes we get caught up in the killing rather than the enjoyment of the spring hunt.

Anyone else have a positive story about hunting public?

turkey buster

I've got birds on my lease and some private land but this year I killed both of my birds on public land. I've seen good times and frustrating times hunting them. Overall 5 of my birds have came off public lands

MouthCaller

Only hunted public and bumped into someone once turkey hunting deer more prevalent but I haven't ever had a bad experience hunting public but I haven't done much of it. Like you said always friendly and courteous and always tried to stay out of the others way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ddturkeyhunter

I have taken two slams on public land so I have run into my share of idiotes, one even shot one of my decoys one time down in Florada. Florada public is hard hunting because of all the people and even if you do walk in the dark for two hours you can still have things messed up from a disabled person drive in on top of you at the last minute, but that just the extra challenges of trying to get a turkey in certain WPA down there. Been down there three times and I love it because there are idiotes like I said but still more great people. As far as not talking to anyone well that is what hunting is all about telling stories. So if you don't want to talk to me I will HUNT for some one else that will. Because that guy that shot my decoy he was the biggest turkey I will ever see in the turkey woods.

WV TURKEY THUG

shot a deer once and some guy i didnt even know asked if i needed help dragging it.

fsu33952

I hunt primarily public land. Depending on where I go is the differences. Over the years I have learned where people are going to mess you up. I have a few spots where I never see anyone. I have weekday spots and weekend spots. People that hunt before work are lots of times limited to where they can go. So if it is place close to a main highway increases the chance you will run into other folks.

Bigspurs68

After posting about bad experiences on public lands, I have to say that I have had met some nice folks also. I hunt public everywhere I go and usually meet someone who is decent. Had some boys in Kentucky pick me up along the road, miles from my truck, in a torrential downpour. I wouldn't have minded the walk but I didn't mind the ride either! There's still a bunch of good ol boys out there.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

BowBendr

I've been one to post on bad public land experiences, hunting public for more than 30 years makes me feel like i've seen it all, but must admit that the good experiences far out-weigh the bad.

Killed my 1st deer, my 1st turkey, and my 1st archery buck on public lands in NC. It's not all been bad and many days I look forward to hitting a road at a NF gate and walking about 2 hours out away from the world.

alclark2

All 3 of my turkeys came from public land. I try to be nice to people and lighten the mood. People are always tense and expecting confrontation. It's public land hunting so keep calm and hunt on! I've had a lot of good hunting but I generally try to avoid people on public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

AU86

I hunt public land and have never had a problem. Never had anyone walk in on me. The people I have talked to have all been friendly and courteous.

renegade19

I've seen other hunters but only at a distance.  I've given them wide berths when I do.  I've probably killed 70% of my birds off of public land.  Heard of some bad experiences but I try to focus on the harder to reach areas and less popular seasons here in Illinois.

Vabirddog

I often been offered and have taken some rides back to my truck. Met some really great people camping and hunting in the NF. Given and recieved info from hunters of other game and I have seen the best turkey hunting I ever experienced. Not unlike this year cold and snow persisted into april especially in the mt/NF. We happened to pick the Weekend it broke to go. Absolutely the best, most extended gobbling Ive ever seen. Literally everywhere you went and all day.

turkey_slayer

I met one of my best buddies in the mtn about 5 years ago. We both got to our truck at the same time after dark and ended up talking to almost 11 that night. I don't think a day has went by we haven't talked since. Another out of stater I run into in tenn is a really nice fellow I chat with to when I see him as well as a guy on this board that hunts the same area. I've had a few bad experiences but more good than bad

ilbucksndux

The bad experiences I have had on public land have been from deer and duck hunters. Yes we do get guys from the city/northern Illinois that come and think they are gonna get one over on us dumb hillbillys . 99% of the (local) turkey hunters are good people that will go out of their way to get away from another guy in the woods.

I met some guys from Alabama up here deer hunting a few years ago  bow hunting and we struck up a conversation and we have been good friends ever since.
Gary Bartlow

DirtNap647

ive had people wanna help me out and ive had guys that seemed liked they wanted to thump me for being there