turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Going back to a pump

Started by holtspur, March 30, 2014, 11:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

870.. Ton of accessories and chokes for them....

Longshanks

Rem 870 no doubt..I have three and the one I hunt with the most.. I have had since I was 12.. I'm 46. Replaced one spring the whole life of the gun. Have had a number of mossbergs and sold them.  I have a new 870sm 26" in a duck camo. Turns the my best Pb patterns with a $12.00 ventilator .655 choke. Awesome patterns with Hevi 7's and Win LB's as well. Better gun for me and wing shooting than the mossbergs. The accessories are unlimited for these guns as well.
   My gunsmith has told me over the last 25 years that the mossbergs are not the best quality metal and he works on them more than any other shotgun. He works on rem 870 the least. Although the mossbergs pattern really good with turkey chokes the fore arm rattles and trying to keep my gun quite while moving through the woods or shouldering the gun on a turkey was not something I wanted to worry about.
    My experience with 870's and Mossbergs is all. Don't mean to offend anyone.

blueridgegobbler

I would go with the 870 out of the 2 you mentioned, but when you mentioned waterfowl too I would go with the browning bps I have both use a 21 inch 870 for turkey and a 28 in. 3.5 bps for waterfowl. I have better pattern performance with steel out of the bps not because of barrel length because my 870 has a 28 inch barrel also. If I were going to pick one as universal gun it would be the bps hands down.

FttFttVroom!

Another vote for the 870.....I own three currently, an express supermag turkey and two wingmasters.  The wingmasters are my upland bird and skeet guns, while the supermag is a dedicated turkey slayer.  I've killed plenty with a wingmaster tho before getting the supermag.  The only experience I have with a Mossberg is my best friend had one for a season and he sold it to get an 870 like mine.  His kicked like a mule and rattled in the forend.

ccaldwell

You can't beat a Benelli in the duck blind! works great for turkeys/dove too! I'd go with the super nova

Gooserbat

Both are great, but I personally own two 870s so you know how I feel.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Longshanks

Quote from: ccaldwell on March 30, 2014, 11:30:11 PM
You can't beat a Benelli in the duck blind! works great for turkeys/dove too! I'd go with the super nova

Benelli's and Beretta's are great shotguns but you can buy 3 Rem 870's for the price of one Benelli/ Beretta. Have one 870 with a long barrel for wing shooting and a short barrel for turkey, 3" for wing shooting and 870sm for turkey. Allot of options with the Rem 870's. Beretta/ Benelli with an extra barrel would put you over the 2 grand mark.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Welcome back to Pumps, by the way. :icon_thumright:

There is nothing more american than being able to buy and hunt with a shell shucker.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Longshanks on March 31, 2014, 05:52:16 PM

Benelli's and Beretta's are great shotguns but you can buy 3 Rem 870's for the price of one Benelli/ Beretta. Have one 870 with a long barrel for wing shooting and a short barrel for turkey, 3" for wing shooting and 870sm for turkey. Allot of options with the Rem 870's. Beretta/ Benelli with an extra barrel would put you over the 2 grand mark.

In all due respect you ain't priced a Nova have you.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Heller

Those are the only two pump guns I would own. You can't go wrong with either. Pick the one you like best

Longshanks

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 31, 2014, 07:50:29 PM

Sorry I was thinking about the automatics..apologize for jumping the gun there.

rempumpman

I have hunted all my Life with a Remington 870 but IMO, stay away from the new ones especially the Wal-Mart specials called Express; if you shoot alot like I do, the older 870 Wingmasters are hard to beat; if you look around long enough, you can find them that were made in the middle 70's thru the late 80's, those are the ones that are made to last; one other shotgun to look at is the SXP Winchesters, real nice pumps for the money;

IF you really want a gun that will do EVERYTHING you mentioned, from dove to ducks to Turkeys and clays, then you should take a look at the Browning Citori; I know that they cost almost as much as a car...LOL.. but they will close up as tight after thousands of shells as they did when they are new; it will be the last shotgun you buy if taken care of. Talk to some Citori owners and they will quickly tell ya that they are one of the toughest guns around; you pay ALOT up front but you get what you pay for.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Longshanks on March 31, 2014, 11:09:42 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on March 31, 2014, 07:50:29 PM

Sorry I was thinking about the automatics..apologize for jumping the gun there.

No problem and I wasn't tying to be a know it all either. 
NWTF Booth 1623

870FaceLift

Quote from: tomstopper on March 30, 2014, 07:33:23 PM
870.. Ton of accessories and chokes for them....

Very true.  The 870 will last a lifetime.  If you ever get tired of it being a turkey gun, then you can easily convert it with everything that is available for them.
Pass it on...