turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Going back to a pump

Started by holtspur, March 30, 2014, 11:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holtspur

About either get an 835 or 870 for not just my turkey gun but also my duck, goose, and dove gun. That being said if I get the 835 I want the 24" and 28" barrels. If I get an 870 I want the bottomland patter with a 26". Which would make a better all purpose shotgun? Also would it hurt to put a rail on the mossberg in the spring and take it off for the fall?

DirtNap647

im a Mossberg fan so I say 835 28" not a problem removing rail just sighting in every spring can get a little expensive... thought about a speed bead?

COssman14

The Benelli Nova isn't on your list of options but I love mine!
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

the Ward

Those are both good guns for what you want to do. Being your going to a lot of waterfowl and dove hunting with it in addition to turkey, I would pick the one that swings and fits you best. You might also want to take a look at the win SXP, Nova/supernova and the bps stalker. Try a bunch and one will stand out to you. Good luck in your quest and....... :wagon:

beagler

Just my  :z-twocents: but I'd go with the Mossberg.
Never Misses

Tomsoph

All great choices...I love my SuperNova...I grab that out of the safe as much as I grab my SBEII

budtripp

If you're using it for wingshooting too I'd go 870. 870's for the most part are nice swinging shotguns and I haven't found one yet I couldn't shoot well. Mossbergs by comparison feel like throwing a 2x4 to your shoulder. No offense to 835 fans for they are great turkey guns. I had one back in the day and really liked it. But then again I had a different gun to use for wingshooting.  Just my opinion.

Skeeterbait

Either one will serve your purpose well.  There are some things about the Mossberg you will need to know for it to be an all purpose gun.

There is no Speed Bead mount for the mossberg.  The location of the tang safety makes it not possible to put a Speed Bead on it.

Both shotguns have aluminum receivers.  Screws for the base are steel.  Every time you put a steel screw into aluminum threads you eat the aluminum out a bit.  It is not advisable to put a base on and off each year because of this.  A open lens reflex sight like the Fast Fire can be used for all shotgun sports including wing shooting.  Just mount it as close to the eye as possibe and shoot with both eyes open.  Otherwise, go with a set of removable barrel sights.  Leave the bead on the barrel and mount the removable sights behind the bead.  Or go with two barrels like you mention and put barrel sights on the dedicated turkey barrel.

The Mossberg is overbored to 10 gauge bore size, .775.  The nominal 12 gauge bore is .729.  This makes the Mossberg shoot large shot charges, 2 oz and larger very well.  It makes the gun shoot low shot charges as if the choke were more open than labeled.  The industry standard for improved cylinder, modified and full are -.010, -.020, and -.035.  So the standard Improved cylinder, modified, and full chokes for the 835 or a 10 gauge are .765, .755, and .740.  However the Mossberg is not shooting a 10 gauge shell so with shot charges less than 2 ounces you do not get the expected patterns.  To make the Mossberg shoot light field loads the same as a standard 12 gauge you must shoot tighter than standard chokes.  This means buying some aftermarket chokes.  For light field loads in the 835 use .755 as improved cylinder, .745 as modified, and .730 as full.

TJK68

I am partial to the 870's, so that is my pic I have the 870 you mentioned and love it. Good luck what ever you choose.

RAY

My 835 pump throws great waterfowl patterns for ducks and geese

jblackburn

Not a duck hunter, but I have an 835 and 870.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Both throw great patterns and you could paddle a boat and bust ice with either!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

CrustyRusty

BPS. Often forgotten but excellent gun and usually shoots lights out.

g8rvet

My 870 has shot enough ducks and geese to sink a big duck boat.  I think it is the #1 selling shotgun for a reason.  If your motor conch's out, you can use it for a paddle. Tough gun.

It is now a turkey only gun for me.  Has 26" barrel.  My son uses it for duck hunting because he prefers the 26" over his 28" 870 for duck hunting. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The world of Choke Tubes as well as other shotgun accessories caters to 870 owners.  Every choke company has options for the 870, and every store keeps something in stock for an 870.

I really like the BPS.  The Invector Plus bores shoot just as good, or maybe a shade better than RemChoke bores do.

If you want a lightweight gun, the 835 has an advantage over both of the above choices; but it kills on both ends.  Some people get great patterns with 835's.

surehuntsalot

Mossberg 835  all the way
it's not the harvest,it's the chase