turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by Lefty, March 15, 2011, 09:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

I had the opportunity to do some swan and duck hunting in North Carolina this winter.

Since I have a license I was kicking around the idea of coming down and doing some turkey hunting on public land on the first or second weekend.

In doing my research I noticed that less than 7% of the turkey harvest is on public land.  And I also realized the state has a lot of public acerage.  This leads me to 1 of 2 conclusions:

A.  The public lands do not hold as many turkeys.

B.  The public lands hold turkeys but are not hunted as hard.

I'm not looking for spots but what are your general turkey observations for public lands in the western portion of NC?  Is it worth the 5 hour ride for a weekend?

anthonyjhallen

In the Western part of the state both conculisions would be wrong.  There are alot of birds and they are hunted hard.

If you go through the week you should be good to hook.  And most people dont get to far off the roads, so if you burn some shoe leather you will be better off.

:anim_25:

bigwayne17

Just make sure you dont hunt on those gamelands that require special permits. Other than that you should be alright.

BowBendr

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on March 15, 2011, 10:19:45 AM
In the Western part of the state both conculisions would be wrong.  There are alot of birds and they are hunted hard.

Very true statement AJH.
There are spots in the mountains that have very few birds and tons of pressure, and there are spots that hold a lot of birds and no pressure....go figure.

The terrain can be an enemy and most guys don't go far from the truck. Burn some leather and you'll find spots that you'd drive 8 hours to hunt.
;) ;) ;)

turkeybow

Oh there are plenty of birds on the public land in NC.  Mountain birds are TOUGH!!  I may be able to point you in some good directions depending on where you go.  I was born and raised in Robbinsville, NC.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Lefty

Thank you for the information gentlemen.

I like chasing mountain birds, that's primarily what I hunt in MD.

I think if I come down for 2 days day 1 will primarily be a scouting day.  Right now I have it narrowed down to McDowell, Burke and Caldwell counties.  I will probably pick an area there do as much virtual scouting as possible and then figure the rest out by putting some miles on.

It looks like waterfowl hunting is going to be an annual adventure in NC so I will probably make some more turkey trips in the spring.  The first few trips you have to learn the land
Thanks again for the info.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: turkeybow on March 15, 2011, 09:26:07 PM
  I was born and raised in Robbinsville, NC.

Oh Lordy, not yellar creek.

I was born in Andrews. 

tra_cline

I was born and raised in Bryson City.  Guess it really is a small world after all.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: tra_cline on March 16, 2011, 12:36:39 PM
I was born and raised in Bryson City.  Guess it really is a small world after all.

Figures with your Tree-n-Walker picture. 

nc_hunter

Wow.....Robinsville, Andrews, Bryson City.... right down the road from me here in Murphy.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: nc_hunter on March 16, 2011, 02:25:12 PM
Wow.....Robinsville, Andrews, Bryson City.... right down the road from me here in Murphy.

Yeller Creek, Otter Creek, Larky, Hangin Dawg, Venges Creek, Standin Indian, Seed Orchard, Fires Creek,Tatham Gap, Rainbow Springs, Chatuge, Nanahala Lake, Fontana, I love it all.

I have been all over the world (literaly) and there aint nothing like that part of the country.  There is nothing like being at Burin Town gap tower at daylight, or hookin a big rainbow in the gorge.  I could go on forever....

anthonyjhallen

Oh, and sorry we hijacked you thread. 

BowBendr

Quote from: Lefty on March 16, 2011, 08:33:20 AMRight now I have it narrowed down to McDowell, Burke and Caldwell counties. 

That's where I mainly hunt and it's great hunting in the right place.
If you're serious about being down here, shoot me a pm as to your exact hunt dates, and i'll put you on a bird. If you only have 1 or 2 days to hunt, you need to hit the ground running.  :icon_thumright:

tra_cline

With only  day or 2 to hunt local knowledge will go a long long way, these birds in WNC have lots of things to hang them up on there way in, someone knowing the area even public areas helps a bunch. and Didn't mean to side track your post just funny we have basically the whole SMC conference from the area I grew up at. Best of luck if you come down!

turkeybow

anthonyjhallen I was actually on long creek.  Just take the dirt road over the mountain haha.   Ol' Andrews, went to college with a few from there.

tra_cline I believe we have talked before or I have seen you on NChuntandfish forum.  I'm timmyatncsu on there but I don't talk that much.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold