OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Review of the Long Beards

Started by Struttin Spurs, March 29, 2014, 03:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Struttin Spurs

Today I finally got around to shooting the Longbeards I bought about a month ago. I was anxious to try these things out as I have heard nothing but praise for them.
My setup was my Mossberg 500, 28 in barrel with Primos Tightwad ported choke.
The Longbeards were number 5s.
At 40 I had 150 in a 10 inch circle and counted 50 in the head and neck of the target from the waddles up. The pattern was also nice and even. Pretty amazing results compared to what I'm used to shooting.

For comparison I also shot number 5 Remington nitros(the cheap stuff I've used for years). At 40 I only had 67 in a 10 inch circle with only 11 pellets in the head and neck.
Talk about a step up!
I'll be using the LBs from here on out!

I think Winchester has done a good thing for us turkey hunters on a budget.

drum817

Those are real good numbers from the 5's.....I agree...I think Winchester knocked it out of the park with the long beards!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

jakesdad

Those are great numbers.make sure you shoot em close and see what you got there.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

TJK68

Great numbers with that combo, sounds like you are ready.  :OGturkeyhead:

DirtNap647

agree its niceto shoot an affordable shell with good results

Twowithone

Good numbers for #5 shot at 40 yds. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

turkey buster

I love the 6's. I wanna try the 4's and see if it will hold around 125 in the 10' and I'd jump to those. Most of my shots are close with 2 rare exceptions (1 being this year). I got 240's with the 6's

mikejd

Great numbers right there, Although its hard to compare them to REM nitros as those are total crap.
You would be better off throwing a handful of crossman bb's then nitros.

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: turkey buster on March 29, 2014, 07:41:07 PM
I love the 6's. I wanna try the 4's and see if it will hold around 125 in the 10' and I'd jump to those. Most of my shots are close with 2 rare exceptions (1 being this year). I got 240's with the 6's
240? Holy cow. That's crazy good. I might have to try some.

turkey buster

Quote from: Struttin Spurs on March 29, 2014, 09:14:24 PM

Be careful they are extremely tight at 20 though

Longshanks

Quote from: turkey buster on March 29, 2014, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: Struttin Spurs on March 29, 2014, 09:14:24 PM

Be careful they are extremely tight at 20 though

I keep hearing warnings about LB's up close. Here is a comparison to Win HV 3" 6's.

Rem 870/ Kicks .655.  Win LB's 3"/6's  214 in a 10 @ 40

*entire pattern in a 8" circle @ 20

Rem 870/Kicks .655. Win HV 3"/6's   140 in a 10 @ 40

*entire pattern in a 10" circle @ 20

There is only a 2" difference in my set up at 20 yds with LB's. Basically what I have is a more effective pattern from 35-40 yds with a few more yards in case I misjudge my 40 yd maximum. Differences at 20yds seem minimal in my guns that have tight constrictions. Difference would be more significant going from open chokes to tight constriction.  Well done Winchester.

76chevy

I just got some and plan to pattern them soon!

Sounds like winchester raised the bar, again.  I have used Supremes for many years with good results.

turkey buster

Killed one at 8 yards this morning with them. Wasn't too right for him lol

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteRemington Nitros

Remington Nitros are easily the worst patterning Turkey load I've ever shot in any of my guns and chokes through the years. 

Years ago, I started out using the Remington Premier 4x6 Duplex load.  It looked great at 30 Yards, but it only shot in the mid 70's at 40 Yards. 

I wish Remington would finally get in the game and release a seriously good Turkey load.

turkey buster

took him with the LB/3.5/6's today. 20.2lbs, 11.5in beard, 3/4in spurs