turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

federal hvy #7 numbers at 25 ?s update 4/2/2014

Started by presdme, March 29, 2014, 02:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

presdme

Hi all, I loaned out my 10 gauge this year to a good friend in need. I now have graduated up to a 20 gauge H&R topper deluxe. I put a titewad choke in it and with regular field load lead #6 in fed and rem could only get 108 to 114 in 10 inch AT 25 YARDS. My thoughts were WOW might as well use my bow!! Then I tried some fed 1.50 oz. heavy #7 and WOW at a measured  25 put 247 in 10 inch circle. Now I know it only 25 yards but what a difference that made. Put the bow away for deer season. Now for the ?. In your best judgement 247 in 10 inches at 25 will equal a killing pattern at how many yards? I don't want to shoot any more than necessary because money has run out!! THANKS all and GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON!!

Recurve

I would keep my shot at 25 yd.That way you know the pattern will be affective at that range
That is about the same range it get with  my moss 500 20GA. with HW#7.

Dtrkyman

Only way to know is to shoot it, but you basically only need half of that at whatever distance.

Tom Foolery

The only way to know is to shoot at farther yardages.  I would think that your pattern would for sure hold up @ 40yds but the only way to know for sure is to shoot it. 

I start @ 40yds and work my way in, if it's good at 40 it ain't gonna get worse @ 20.

No offense but I am not a fan of guessing.  I know shells cost money but having knowledge and full confidence in your setup is worth more than a box of shells.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Your numbers seem a bit low for that load at 25 yards.  Make sure you are counting the densest part of the pattern. It is hard to say much from just one shot. Patterns easily vary within 10% from the average. You can make a rough estimate of range by dropping the pattern count by the square of the distance.   For 247 from the densest part of the pattern at 25 yards, I would be inclined to stay within 35 yards myself, which would drop your pattern by about half.  As the others have said, you'll never know for sure until you try it at 40.

barry

I would do a penetration test on plywood or a soup can at 30,35 and 40 to see how it stands up

presdme

Well thanks all I just came from gander and got a new box to try at 40. $ 22.99 a box wow!! Its raining hard now and the weather is not supposed to get any better till Monday. I will give it a try on Monday and let you now how it does. THANKS AGAIN!

R AJ

Just so you will know, in a 1.5 oz. load of 15 g/cc shot there are approximately 329 total pellets.
So, you had about 77% of your total load in the 10 at 25. Not a bad number if you are generally getting 30 yard shots.

10 yards past 30 can make a huge difference and you need to see how much .

presdme

Just for fun I counted the rest of the pattern and their is a total of 324 in a 16 inch circle. A couple of fliers outside the 16. I guess that accounts for most of the shot!! I sure hope to get a killing pattern at 40 yards. :drool: Only time will tell!!

BandedSpur

Quote from: barry on March 29, 2014, 04:16:27 PM
I would do a penetration test on plywood or a soup can at 30,35 and 40 to see how it stands up

No penetration tests needed with HW 7s. They will outpenetrate lead 4s at any distance. Nuff said.

savduck

That 247 number is consitent with my 25 yard numbers. At 40 my gun averages between 130 to 160 depending on which choke and gun combo im running.
Georgia Boy

archdriver

The real advantage of using federal HW#7 is the increased pellet count with better downrange energy.

I believe it is the only option for effective 20 ga .   

Since the HW is more dense than lead , you are able to use the small shot of #7.  This means
you can have 328 pellets compared to a typical 20ga lead load #5 which is 1 5/16 oz  = approx 220 pellets. 

In fact, the penetration /energy is superior using #7 HW compared to #5 lead

ArchDriver

BandedSpur

Quote from: archdriver on April 01, 2014, 08:24:21 AM
The real advantage of using federal HW#7 is the increased pellet count with better downrange energy.

I believe it is the only option for effective 20 ga .   

Since the HW is more dense than lead , you are able to use the small shot of #7.  This means
you can have 328 pellets compared to a typical 20ga lead load #5 which is 1 5/16 oz  = approx 220 pellets. 

In fact, the penetration /energy is superior using #7 HW compared to #5 lead

Perhaps you meant to say "the only commercially available option for effective 20 ga". Certainly handloaded TSS is an effective option. A typical 20 ga handload contains 1&5/8 oz of TSS 9s, 582 of them, each of which penetrates as deeply as a lead 4.

archdriver

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 01, 2014, 09:00:20 AM

Perhaps you meant to say "the only commercially available option for effective 20 ga". Certainly handloaded TSS is an effective option. A typical 20 ga handload contains 1&5/8 oz of TSS 9s, 582 of them, each of which penetrates as deeply as a lead 4.

Yes,  I  meant  to  point out the  the  TSS is even  better -  but  even the  TSS is not available to me,  commercial  or  non-commercial   I  contacted  some one once and they  wouldnt  sell any
and I  dont  have reloading equipment.

but  I would  love to try  some  out.
ArchDriver

Dtrkyman

Hevi 13 7s certainly are an option for 20ga users!! as well as mag blends, the lead turkey loads will work but are definitely a huge step in the wrong direction pattern wise!