turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public land insanity

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 29, 2014, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

It took me YEARS to get good enough with my calling so I could become a guide for Outfitters; I now guide and hunt for FREE on some some of the BEST turkey hunting spots there is; say what you want, call me names if you will, BUT if you want it BAD enough and are willing to WORK HARD enough, you can do the EXACT same that I am doing then you won't have to hunt public land at all; it will not be handed to you, it's called WORK; it paid off for me and it will pay off for you if you want it bad enough.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

KYHeadhunter02

I would have started jogging right beside them and asked them where they were going so quickly.  :z-guntootsmiley:

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: rempumpman on March 30, 2014, 11:16:21 PM
It took me YEARS to get good enough with my calling so I could become a guide for Outfitters; I now guide and hunt for FREE on some some of the BEST turkey hunting spots there is; say what you want, call me names if you will, BUT if you want it BAD enough and are willing to WORK HARD enough, you can do the EXACT same that I am doing then you won't have to hunt public land at all; it will not be handed to you, it's called WORK; it paid off for me and it will pay off for you if you want it bad enough.

I don't see how you could juggle work, family, guiding and still have time for yourself to be behind the gun. Unless your retired.

870FaceLift

Folks on here saying that the best thing to do is not say anything at all are correct.

It is sad that we've gotten to that point, though.  It sure would be nice to be able to talk to people about their seasons without them having to get all defensive or fearful of losing their spot.  Shame on the wreckless types that have made things this way. 

Some people hear a gobble and lose all sense of respect and decency...
Pass it on...

BigGobbler

Quote from: d.winsor on March 30, 2014, 12:44:48 PM
I don't know where you people hunt public land, when you say if you see another car parked there you drive on, you will be driving until 10 or 10:30 when everyone else is leaving.  I don't see how you can expect to pull your car into a parking area for public land, and block other people from hunting thousands of acres, just because you got there first.  There is not that much public land to satisfy all the different tastes for turkey hunting.  No one can hunt a thousand acres in one day by there self anyway.  What do you do, park and stay in your car just to try to run people off, you should be out turkey hunting.  I don't know if you have ever noticed it or not but parking areas on public land are made a lot bigger than for just one car, there is a reason for that, you need to get yourself some private land, you will be happier.  I have hunted public land all my life, and never have run into an individual like you.  If I had I would have left, but I would have been back with the game warden.  In Indiana there is a law that deals with people hindering properly licensed individuals from legally hunting.  I don't think that just because you got there first supersedes that.  If I were you I would be careful, you might get up in the face of the wrong person one day, not everybody appreciates that kind of treatment.  Years ago a turkey hunter could drive on to another spot, times have changed, there are a lot more turkey hunters now days, and growing every year, with the same amount of public land. 
Not to be an  or start a feud but dude come on what an attitude towards other hunters, there is always somewhere else to go on down the road,any true turkey hunter has backup plans. So you park where someone else has already and move in on the them and ruin there hunt and you think thats ok it's public land? I was wondering how many run in with other hunters you have had? You must drive a different vehicle every time you go hunting lol.This is the kind that make hunting public land suck! I'm glad that more people do not think like you. I get to a spot early so I can hunt there without the hassles of someone coming in on me. You wanted a response you got one.

d.winsor

Quote from: BigGobbler on March 31, 2014, 01:09:12 PM
I don't know where you people hunt public land, when you say if you see another car parked there you drive on, you will be driving until 10 or 10:30 when everyone else is leaving.  I don't see how you can expect to pull your car into a parking area for public land, and block other people from hunting thousands of acres, just because you got there first.  There is not that much public land to satisfy all the different tastes for turkey hunting.  No one can hunt a thousand acres in one day by there self anyway.  What do you do, park and stay in your car just to try to run people off, you should be out turkey hunting.  I don't know if you have ever noticed it or not but parking areas on public land are made a lot bigger than for just one car, there is a reason for that, you need to get yourself some private land, you will be happier.  I have hunted public land all my life, and never have run into an individual like you.  If I had I would have left, but I would have been back with the game warden.  In Indiana there is a law that deals with people hindering properly licensed individuals from legally hunting.  I don't think that just because you got there first supersedes that.  If I were you I would be careful, you might get up in the face of the wrong person one day, not everybody appreciates that kind of treatment.  Years ago a turkey hunter could drive on to another spot, times have changed, there are a lot more turkey hunters now days, and growing every year, with the same amount of public land. 
Not to be an  or start a feud but dude come on what an attitude towards other hunters, there is always somewhere else to go on down the road,any true turkey hunter has backup plans. So you park where someone else has already and move in on the them and ruin there hunt and you think thats ok it's public land? I was wondering how many run in with other hunters you have had? You must drive a different vehicle every time you go hunting lol.This is the kind that make hunting public land suck! I'm glad that more people do not think like you. I get to a spot early so I can hunt there without the hassles of someone coming in on me. You wanted a response you got one.

You go where I lived in indiana or virginia and you would have a new experience, This is the only forum I am on where people talk like you, you give turkey hunters a bad name, your all helpful on the forums or act like you are and when you hit the woods, your worst nightmare is having someone park next to you, or see another turkey hunter in the woods, get a life, Your biggest thrill is trying to belittle people.  You wait for first blood to be drawn and then you jump in.  You were just taught to turkey hunt by the wrong people.  I never cease to be amazed at you people inferring that you or someone will damage peoples cars.

Pressured Gobbler

If that has p you off then you haven't hunted public land in the north east!!! That little shanangins you just described happens to me every time I go hunting... It's a way of life for me... So now ya all know why I act the way I do yo

g8rvet

I think Big and dwin are describing two different types of turkey hunting-meaning two types of public land areas. Where I hunt too, if you park somewhere, it is just plain expected you will be left alone. I understand it is not that way where you hunt dwin as there are only few designated parking areas.  You are both right about where you hunt and both wrong about where the other guy hunts. 

You act like we are wrong for thinking it is logical to leave us alone dwin, but where I hunt, it is the norm.  I understand it is different for you, but that certainly does not mean we were taught wrong. We were taught different.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

d.winsor

You don't hunt public land and expect to be left alone,  There is always the chance of some one walking up on you Unintentionally,  You can't park and expect no one else to not park near you.  There is not that much public land and you try to monopolize a very large part of it with your ethics and your own use.  You show me one part of the regulations governing public land hunting for your state that says you can run people off or damage their cars if they park next to you  and hunt YOUR area, and then monopolize public hunting ground.  That is your own outdated ethics, and greed,  Show me that and I won't have any other opinions on this matter.  Let me ask you this, how many birds can be legally taken where you hunt.  After you kill your first bird do you back out and make room for some one else to hunt, Or are you there bright and early the next day.  If you can only kill one bird do you notify the next individual in your pecking order that he can have your spot? Thus controlling public land even more yet,  Where is your ethics on this one.  Bottom line is somewhere along the line you have developed your own rules, As long as you can bully people they will stand, at least where you hunt.  I'm glad you are not around me.

g8rvet

I think you have confused me with someone else.

QuoteYou don't hunt public land and expect to be left alone, Did I say I expected to be left alone?  There is always the chance of some one walking up on you Unintentionally, Happens all the times, both ways. If I do that to someone, I will look elsewhere You can't park and expect no one else to not park near you. I do as I do the same to others There is not that much public land Wrong again Ace.  I said I hunt a public tract that contains, at the time of this writing 585,000 acres.  And it is just one of the WMAs near me.   and you try to monopolize a very large part of it with your ethics I don't think I am monopolizing anything. If someone beats me to where I wanted to go, I say good job and move on. Expecting 1-200 acres to move on almost 600,000 is so far from monopolizing, I am not even sure you are comprehending what I am typing and your own use.  You show me one part of the regulations governing public land hunting for your state that says you can run people off or damage their cars if they park next to you ummm, I never said I would run anyone off or damage their cars.  I said only that I would explain to them that what they are doing is unethical or maybe just rude and hunt YOUR area, and then monopolize public hunting ground.  That is your own outdated ethics, and greed,Sounds to me like you are justifying your own actions. I do not expect anything other than what I practice, every day of the season  Show me that and I won't have any other opinions on this matter.  Let me ask you this, how many birds can be legally taken where you hunt.2 per spring season, one per day  After you kill your first bird do you back out and make room for some one else to hunt, Or are you there bright and early the next day. If there is a gobbler still there, bright and early If you can only kill one bird do you notify the next individual in your pecking order that he can have your spot? Notify someone I do not know?  That is dumb, I assume you mean after I kill my second bird.  If I know where a gobbler is, I have many times notified someone I know, twice I did it for a father/son hunt and I had not even killed a bird yet so the boy could kill a bird Thus controlling public land even more yet,  Where is your ethics on this one. I don't owe someone I do not know to point them out where a gobbler is.  Are you saying you do that? I doubt that very seriously Bottom line is somewhere along the line you have developed your own rules, Wrong, I have developed my own ethics. Ethics and rules are two different things. There are things that happen all the time that are perfectly legal but just rude. Like pulling in front of someone on an oyster bar and cutting them off from the redfish. Like pulling in at last legal light duck hunting and setting up 50 yards from someone.  None of that is illegal, but it is unethical. I don't do it to others and I expect the same consideration in return.   It so happens that I share my ehtics with a majority of folks where I hunt and fish, but that is immaterial as they are MY ethics. I sleep fine at night. As long as you can bully people they will stand, at least where you hunt. I have never bullied anyone (well, not since grade school I reckon). Pointing out someone is being rude is not my definition of being a bully, but if you say so I can live with it  I'm glad you are not around me. And finally, on this one point, we totally agree.  :toothy9:

Your ethics would not fly where I hunt, but there are plenty of people that share them.  Like I said, I know nothing of where you hunt, but then again I am not judging you, you are judging me. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ridgerunner

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on March 30, 2014, 11:43:13 PM
Quote from: rempumpman on March 30, 2014, 11:16:21 PM

I don't see how you could juggle work, family, guiding and still have time for yourself to be behind the gun. Unless your retired.

BINGO! my thoughts exactly...looks good on paper...in the real world..how do make income and get paid to ' practice your calling".....Sounds like some made up story a 12 yr old came up with...and it took you YEARS to learn how to call a turkey...wow

ridgerunner

I'm from Indiana...You're the exception not the rule.

g8rvet

I just did a quick check. Within 1 hour and 15 minutes from my front door, for the price of a $26 managment stamp there are 826,734 acres that can be hunted.  Let that sink a bit before you tell me I should have no problem with someone pulling up where I am parked and racing me to my spot.  Over 3/4 of a MILLION acres in less than a 1.5 hour drive.  In the least populated area of the state. 

Bigspurs68

Well, to all you that got your hackles up, I'll be out there, on public land this spring. If you see me, I'll wave and if we talk, I'll wish you well. If you spook a bird from me...grrr.. I'll get over it. Hope I don't spook yours. It could happen. However y'all work it out is fine. Have a good spring.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"