News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public land insanity

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 29, 2014, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

You're a good man! I don't ask for info and I don't give it.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bigbird

What state were these 2 gentlemen from?

Kylongspur88

Quote from: bigbird on March 29, 2014, 05:07:05 PM
What state were these 2 gentlemen from?

Sounds like buckeye's. I don't tell anyone anything about public spots, in person or on the net.

Spitten and drummen

They were down here in southwest mississippi . They came down from arkansas. Hope they dont come back in there on top of me tomorrow. Good thing is that it hasnt been any gobbling in there so maybe they didnt hear anything. I know the area very well and know the birds are in there. They arnt very vocal in my neck of the woods yet for some reason.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

WV TURKEY THUG

i would of followed them and screwed up there hunt.. i wonder if they ever got anything

Spitten and drummen

I dont give out any prime info. I just stated that its been slow here this season. I didnt tell them where they could go scout. I just stated the obvious about put your feet on the ground and you will find birds. Its a 80 thousand acre national forest and wma. Also there are no designated parking areas and at least 10 thousand forest service roads and logging roads to park on. I guess when you see a truck parked at a place a couple of times you dont need to scout because someone else already did it for you lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

WV TURKEY THUG

no doubt s and d ur better off haveing someone drop u off

BowBendr

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 29, 2014, 06:00:37 PMI guess when you see a truck parked at a place a couple of times you dont need to scout because someone else already did it for you lol.

Very true. I hunt a lot of public land in NC and run into a lot of "rude" hunters, and this is what I run into most.

Guys won't get out and lay down boot leather, they'll ride the roads for a day or two and watch where people are hitting and then go to that area. It is public land, and they do buy a license, but I think the respect and manners are quickly fading from turkey hunting. In the south, quail and turkey hunting were once revered as gentlemens' sports, not any more.......

I may not have taken his call, but I woulda dang sure tried to kill a bird with it and leave it back on his truck hood with a bloody feather.  :icon_thumright:

Spitten and drummen

Sounds good but dont know many people who want to get up at 400 am and drive 45 min to drop me off. I have a handful of turkey hunting buddies and we hunt together some but mostly i like the solitude. Thanks for the suggestion though.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Bowbendr, you are so right. Im having a hard time right now killing one with my own call. Its all good though because i have this week off to hunt so maybe it will be better during the week.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

runningdeer

datrip

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 29, 2014, 01:35:44 PM

In Florida that won't fly -

I would stopped them right in their tracks as they were walking past me , no kidding I've done this , and I can be utterly vulgar and to the point - some common lines are.... I'm here,  go away.......where the bleep bleep do you think your going.....it's important to say it firmly and stand right in the way the trail , if they gesture to get by, tell them your buddies are 100 years ahead of you , and they are making the place dangerously crowded .....

if that's don't turn them away , tell them point blank your going to ruin their hunt

I assume that when you have confronted people who have as much right as you do to be on that piece of "public" planet earth that you had a firearm on your hip like Matt Dillon protecting "your piece" of Dodge City. One of these days you do that and you may end up hearing banjo music if you know what I mean.

Those tactics might "fly in FL", but not everywhere sir.  One of these days you might mouth off to someone who happens to be a Game Warden who is hunting on his day off. I imagine your day will go downhill fast if you say the things you said above.  :z-twocents:

To the OP....thank you for doing the right thing.
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

WV TURKEY THUG

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 29, 2014, 06:11:07 PM
Sounds good but dont know many people who want to get up at 400 am and drive 45 min to drop me off. I have a handful of turkey hunting buddies and we hunt together some but mostly i like the solitude. Thanks for the suggestion though.
yea thats true i dont think i know anyone either. u might put a white bag or something on ur door to try and make people think u broke down

Number17

I've had guys pull in behind me, get their gear together in a hurry, and go racing down a logging road without ever saying a word to me.
I slowly walked in and right past their decoy spread in the middle of the logging road and just calmly said, "Mornin' Fellas" and kept right on walking. I'm not sure what else they were expecting really?
We often thought about making up a sign that said, "Does not hunt well with others." to put on our rear truck windows.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Bigspurs68

Sounds like Buckeyes??? Wow. I hunt multiple states each year and would give up my morning in any state that I hunt to call in a bird for someone that may need help. Iv walked away from birds many times that had other hunters on them. It sucks that some hunters act like fools. I run into some every spring, usually more than once. Y'all know this happens in every state and a few run ins leave a bad impression. Someone parked by my truck last year in Tennessee and snuck in between us and a bird my 10 yr old daughter was going to kill. The bird was 40 yards when he shot. It was so loud that she thought I shot! He knew we were there. He didn't care. Truck had Tennessee plates. I don't think bad of every turkey hunter in that state. Just him. Not that he was a turkey hunter. I won't be led into foolishness by others acts of foolishness.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"