OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth call positioning.....

Started by beards-n-bone, March 15, 2011, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beards-n-bone

I have a small palate and this restricts me to youth/small mouth calls.  In addition to being narrow, the upper part of my mouth is deep.  To create a seal the mouth call has to be tilted foreward. When this happens, you can only use the top reed of the call.  It makes it harder to create the hi note of the yelp.  I like the mini sonic dome by primos because it holds the call more level.  Dont like the latex or the cuts offered.  Any ideas on what I can do other than take my trusty slate?

jyoung

beards-n-bone,  have you ever tried an average sized mouth call and just trimmed the tape to fit your mouth?  When you tilt the mouth call forward you are only acessing the top reed.  The call has to be level to acess the other set back reeds.  Also, the call should be place far enough back that it sits on the middle put of your tongue.  The tip of your tongue should NEVER be used to control the call.  When you place the call on the middle of your tongue, this makes the call level.  It is VERY VERY hard to learn and call this way, but it is the proper mechanics that most all of the circuit callers use.  Without the call in your mouth, say the word "HEE" several time and really pay attention to what your mouth and tongue are doing.  The back part of your tongue is lifting up to the roof of your mouth and the tip of your tongue is at the bottom of your mouth.  Once you fell comfortable enough try it with the call properly placed in your mouth and that should give you the clean and clear front end of the yelp.  Try different tongue pressures until you can make it one clear note. Then just drop your jaw incorporating the word "yop or yack" try different sounds for the back end until you like the way it sounds.  It's hard! Much easier said then done. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  But that is how I get my front end.  Clear as mud now? LOL!  I hope this helps a little or at least gives you a different technique to try and from that you can find what works for you.
Jonathan Young

beards-n-bone

My mouth is really jacked up...lol    It is impossible for me to hold the call flat in the roof of my mouth, and maintain a seal.  Full size calls are just too wide to fit between my upper teeth.  I can cutt, purr, fly down cackle, cluck, kee kee (by flipping the call upside down), and gobble on a mouth call.  My yelps lack the high end because Ionly activate the top reed.  That is where the primos dome helps.  Might tear one up and glue it to some of the youth calls I like the sound of.

Lumpy

Sounds like you have the same problem as I do. I use youth frame calls too, but I leave alot of tape on the call to get a good seal with my deep pallet.
Hope this helps.
God Bless
It's not a religon, it's a relationship, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com