OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cabelas Tat'r vest questions

Started by PALongspur, March 28, 2014, 06:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PALongspur

I don't like the thought of giving up my beloved SEIII but I've been looking for a more streamlined option. The deals Cabelas' has on the Tat'r vests right now is almost too good to pass up.

Which do you prefer (Tac Tat'r II or Super Tat'r III) and why?

Can you comfortably carry a longbox in either model?

Thanks.

olejake

Longspur,
I don't own a  longbox , so cannot say if a long box will fit in the II tho it does have a dedicated box pocket equipped with a separator to keep it quiet..I ordered both vests back before the seasons started here in the south after going to several shops and seeing other brands for myself.. I ordered from Cabelas after deciding the seat thickness was the closer for me..and glad I did..very thick and comfortable compared to others..upon receiving both taters, I quickly decided to return the III...the II just was of better quality...the III just seemed "cheap" and one of the adjustable buckles was actually sewn in upside down...was a no-brainer for me...used my new II this past weekend and was very pleased..the padded back was also very  comfortable when leaning against the tree...just ordered my third one to give to my Dad as appreciation for all he does for us keeping up the places so that we may just pop in and hunt...go for it !! you can always return it if you don't like it...but willing to betcha a fat man you will  !!   Peace

old frank

I have a Tat'r II and have never actually seen a III so I can't comment on it.

The II is a very comfortable vest if you want a snug secure type vest that is good for long treks. I like it but I am sure there are some who like the looser hanging vests.
The box call pocket has a flap that closes with a clasp on a bungee. I have a standard 6" box in mine and there is probably room for 3 or 4" more inches of box in the pouch and still close the flap.

If I have any complaints, the friction call slots were very tight on my larger custom slates but they have finally loosened up OK. I don't know if they are the same as my vest is three or four years old.
Like any vest it has so many pockets you can weigh yourself down if you are not careful.

Good Luck!

PALongspur

How does the sizing run on these? I'm 5'10", 180#.

old frank

I have the Large/XL, I am a little shorter and heavier than you and the vest fits me loosely.

With just a t shirt and shirt I have all the straps pulled up most of the way to get the vest to fit snug. This gives me room to add a fleece and insulated jacket under it like I did the other morning when it was 36 degrees when I walked in to the woods.

I think the Small/Medium option would be too small.

Twowithone

The newer 11 has no shell loops in it. Other than that I like it.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

tnturkey

I have the two and it is awesome. I don't own a box call so couldn't answer that but I would recommend the two.

forcercon1

I'm 6'0 & 195LBs... I have the small / medium and it fits me perfect. I like a vest that has some room, but not too much.

TURKEYWHACKER

I've had a Tater II for a few seasons and love it. As said before the padded back and seat cushion are awesome. I am not a small boy ( 5' 10" 250 lbs ) so I ordered the 2x to allow extra clothes room. I seem to have alot of extra strap if needed.

olejake

Quote from: PALongspur on March 28, 2014, 04:05:45 PM
How does the sizing run on these? I'm 5'10", 180#.

Spur, I am the  same size as you...and have the lg/xl...fits me as I want it...got my fiance a sm/med and I tried hers on....was too small for my taste tho it would have worked