turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WIll you shoot a jake this year?

Started by bowmike, March 27, 2014, 07:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headbanger

I had 3 jakes all over me for 2 hours last weekend (opening day) with all 3 being at 5 yds off the roost. I even ended up videoing them with my phone. Shooting one of them wasn't a consideration then. However...if I decide to shoot one at a later date I would do so without a second thought. If my longbow was in my hand last weekend I would have been eating deep fried jake all week.

chatterbox

Nope. I won't shoot unless I see a full fan, or a decent rope.
However, that is a decision I have made, and I am comfortable with that. If someone else wants to shoot one, that is their personal decision, and I will never judge another hunter for that.
Your hunt, your choice.

Pressured Gobbler

Lol I love it....

Not everybody has a 500+ acre lease loaded with strutting gobblers...

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Pressured Gobbler on March 28, 2014, 05:08:28 PM
Lol I love it....

Not everyone wastes their time bitching about how they only hunt public ground "wild" wild turkeys ????????????????????????
Some of us, when we are dissatisfied with our situations, get off our @$$e$ (and our keyboards) and go find more promising realities. ????????????????????????

Btw, there are many guys on here who hunt public land "pressured gobblers" and have no problem filling their tags.... With longbeards.

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: NYGobblergetter on March 27, 2014, 09:06:56 AM
If it is the end of the season I have been skunked and a jake comes in then he is toast; otherwise I will pass on them. However, I have no problem with others taking them if they want to. Hunting should be fun
x2

jakesdad

Lol I love it....

No we dont.Ive only got a few hundred acres of private thats got strutting gobblers..............because i've chosen not to shoot jakes.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

WildSpur

I don't want to commit to a "no" but my goal this spring is 2 public land longbeards.  I don't want to but I do eat turkey!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

captin_hook

I will not be shooting jakes anymore. I've shot a few, and certainly do not look down upon it, I'm just hunting for big boys from now on.

tnturkey

Lol I love it....

I know several that tag out of public land... so imo invalid argument. there is properties out there go and get them if you're unhappy with public land. private land usually don't come by chance we have to work for them to.

FttFttVroom!

I shot my last jake around 15 yrs ago...........but I love watching them gobble their heads off at every little sound. 

WV TURKEY THUG

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 28, 2014, 06:53:48 PM

Lol I love it....

Not everyone wastes their time bitching about how they only hunt public ground "wild" wild turkeys ????????????????????????
Some of us, when we are dissatisfied with our situations, get off our @$$e$ (and our keyboards) and go find more promising realities. ????????????????????????

Btw, there are many guys on here who hunt public land "pressured gobblers" and have no problem filling their tags.... With longbeards.
and them people are my heros

Dan Mallia

I've passed on a lot of jakes the last few seasons. If they make it through the season they'll be longbeards the next year. I will say though that I'll be toting my bow a lot more this year and if I can take one with the bow, I just might.  :funnyturkey:

Being new to it as you are, do whatever makes you happy!!!

jlawson382

Hm... yeah, I probably would if one came in.  Still working on my first bird, and with two kids under 5 my hunting time is gonna be pretty limited, so, yeah... especially near the end of the season, anything legal that comes a-gobblin' is probably gonna be prone to a severe case of lead poisoning.

jakesdad

Quote from: jlawson382 on March 31, 2014, 12:36:10 PM
Hm... yeah, I probably would if one came in.  Still working on my first bird, and with two kids under 5 my hunting time is gonna be pretty limited, so, yeah... especially near the end of the season, anything legal that comes a-gobblin' is probably gonna be prone to a severe case of lead poisoning.

If I was in your situation I would be doing the same thing!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Fishbamboo

I hunt for the meat, not interested in how big, how old, how long is the beard or spurs. Not interested in how many points the deer has, I love to eat wild game. And as long as it's legal, I'm fine with that. I have only killed one turkey, last year, and yes it was a long beard. But in the morning I will be hunting meat.