Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Wars 2014

Started by mfd1027, March 26, 2014, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfd1027

WTG!  Dustin.   Pressure's off!  Now go kill a giant and get us on the scoreboard.   
Dan

Moore

[

mfd1027

Almost made it happen this morning.   Had a bird gobbling good on the limb but he had company.  When they hit the ground he quit gobbling but his girlfriends just kept going and here they came.  All was great until they passed at about 65 yds.  Just too far.   I let em walk.  He's a real nice bird and hopefully with a little luck tomorrow the outcome will be a little different.   The weather should be perfect tomorrow. 
Dan

ElkTurkMan

Good luck Dan, the next few days should be perfect I am dying to get back after them.

harvester

The boys are on spring bream this week and I'm dying to get back out there. Hopefully Thursday I can go again .

mfd1027

Man, I've got one henned up gobbler on my hands.   He gobbled once this morning and his girls lit up.  It was a real calling lesson. lol   I swear they all sprinted to him.   They were answering me left and right but only as if they were saying "hey, he's over here". lol   I have noticed a pattern and I did some super stealthy scouting today that might just work.  He's been roosted about 100-150 yds away from them the past 2 days and today I found an old skidder trail that's actually pretty clean.  I'm going to get up an hr. earlier tomorrow and sneak in there "amongst them" and hopefully between them.  I just hope the roosting apart pattern holds for one more day.   I decided to just leave them alone this afternoon and to let things happen as naturally as possible.   If I wind up between them and can get away with it I'm going to spook those dang hens.  I think there's 7 of them but it sounded like more this morning.   The chess match continues  lol   

Good luck Shane and Dustin.   
Dan

harvester

Good luck Dan
Put the ole Kendall sneak on em.

ElkTurkMan

Good luck Dan. I have a friend who is retired and hunts every morning, his birds are he henned up real bad right now as well.  Sounds like an awesome plan you have for in the morning. Good luck buddy.

Moore

[

theghost_03

Good luck!  Hopefully the weather cooperates, we're getting a foot of fresh snow here in MN.
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS

ElkTurkMan

Heading out in a few. I am going to hunt thus afternoon and see if I can't get ones attention. Tomorrow I am playing guide and Sunday I will be hunting again. Good luck to everyone hunting this weekend.

mfd1027

Well.  My plan worked to perfection yesterday all except some thick stuff between me and that gobbler.  I had him at less than 40 yds. for 10 min. and I couldn't get a shot at him.   I should have stood up.   Today was a little different.  I was back in there but managed to set up at the base of the tree he was in.  That just doesn't work too well. lol   I didn't know it until he pitched out and flew off through the pines.   That's it for Georgia.  I got my butt whooped.   I had 3 different birds in shooting range and didn't manage to kill a one.   Damn turkeys. lol   All in all it's been a great wk.   I'm headed to Ky. tomorrow to get camp set up and get ready for our first hunt next wk. end.    Hopefully, I can do a little better out there.  I'm sure I'll get to hunt a few days.   I've got a new 600 ac. farm that I won't be guiding on this season but I will manage to hunt there a few days with the owner.  We've still got some details to work out and he wants to do it over a few turkey hunts.    Plus he wants to show me around the place.   Sounds good to me.

Good luck to everybody hitting the woods this wk. end.   
Dan

ElkTurkMan

No luck this weekend. They are still henned up bad. We did hear more gobbling this weekend and I found a really good spot on the National Forest that should be productive.  Soooo things are looking up.      Good Luck in Kentucky Dan.

harvester

Got on 2 different birds Sunday morning. First one we just got too close to it. Game over from the start. They wasn't spooked but still nothing we could do. Second bird hung up on a ridge and wouldn't cross the road I was unaware of. Gobbled good.. Sunday evening was eventful but just a jake with 6 hens. Might try it again in the morning.  Good luck everyone.