only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quitting snuff

Started by Spring_Woods, March 26, 2014, 11:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

timberchicken

good luck to you.  Apparently this is the week to quit. I when from a can or more a day Grizzly wintergreen chewer to one or two of the little snus packets a day. Tried cold turkey before but the headaches and teeth grinding was driving me nuts.  Hoping the step down method will work for me.

Spring_Woods

Yeah it was an easy choice to make but not easy to execute. I got this cold sore on my gum just below my tooth. It's still there, likely just a canker sore but still scary. I noticed it last Friday and it looks a little better now, but I'll be watching it!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Spring_Woods

If anyone is brave enough go to google and type in mouth cancer- google images. Pretty extreme stuff!!!

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 27, 2014, 06:41:21 PM
Yeah it was an easy choice to make but not easy to execute. I got this cold sore on my gum just below my tooth. It's still there, likely just a canker sore but still scary. I noticed it last Friday and it looks a little better now, but I'll be watching it!

If you have a concern go to the dentist. One thing my family has learned in the past few years is waiting and watching is sometimes not the best thing. I just had an oral cancer exam last month just as I do when I'm in for my cleaning. It took about one minute and all they did was look with a special light. No big deal at all.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 27, 2014, 09:15:20 PM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 27, 2014, 06:41:21 PM

If you have a concern go to the dentist. One thing my family has learned in the past few years is waiting and watching is sometimes not the best thing. I just had an oral cancer exam last month just as I do when I'm in for my cleaning. It took about one minute and all they did was look with a special light. No big deal at all.

Thanks for the heads up! I was looking at it some again tonight and it has fluid in it, so I'm 99% sure it's a canker sore. I haven't had a dentist cleaning in about 4 years, I will look into it!

MEbeardlover

Dipped for seven years on the sly, or so I thought. Finally got "caught", and I quit the next day. Cold turkey.

The first two weeks were hell, but I stuck with it and never looked back. The psychological addiction was as bad, if not worse, than the physical.

Good luck and hang tough. Do it for your family and it will be well worth it.

Fatbeard

One of the hardest thing I ever did. Was a 2 1/2 can a day Copenhagen guy for 20 some years. Quit cold turkey and never looked back 4 years ago. Hang in there!
East TN Beard Buster

Recurve

:happy0064:Good for you I am going on nine months after thirty years you can do it

WALKER80

I quit dipping after 17 years by chewing nicotine gum for a couple months. It took the edge off for me and kept me from going crazy. Been quit for 3 or so years now. 

Spring_Woods

Quote from: Fatbeard on March 27, 2014, 10:22:03 PM
One of the hardest thing I ever did. Was a 2 1/2 can a day Copenhagen guy for 20 some years. Quit cold turkey and never looked back 4 years ago. Hang in there!

Wow. 2.5 cans is a lot!!! My peak has always been just a single can per day.
4 years is impressive. My best streak quitting is about 8 months.

I feel like once your addicted it's a lifetime struggle to kick it.

WildTigerTrout

You know you have been successful quitting when you forget how long it's been since you quit. Also for me it was NOT a lifelong struggle. It's been 17 years and I don't think about it at all anymore. At the time it was one of the hardest things I ever did.  I decided I wanted to be an "old" turkey hunter someday! I think I am getting there LOL.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

West Augusta

Ice Breakers mints helped me.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 28, 2014, 09:42:24 AM
You know you have been successful quitting when you forget how long it's been since you quit. Also for me it was NOT a lifelong struggle. It's been 17 years and I don't think about it at all anymore. At the time it was one of the hardest things I ever did.  I decided I wanted to be an "old" turkey hunter someday! I think I am getting there LOL.

You can't remember how long it's been, or has it been 17 years? :p

Sorry, had to point that out! Congrats on the long term quittage!!!

Jasonb53

Quote from: West Augusta on March 28, 2014, 09:51:46 AM
Ice Breakers mints helped me.

Sunflower seeds for  me,chewed those things till my mouth was sore