OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Virginia hunters

Started by TauntoHawk, March 14, 2011, 11:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

me and my hunting buddy have been trying to find cheap ways to add out of state hunts to our spring. we currently hunt PA (my home state) and NY (his home state).

My parents own a time share at Massanutten resort in Virginia, county.Rockingham. they allow owners to hunt during hunting season on their property in areas away from the resort (their way of helping keep the numbers down). while ive never seen a turkey there I cant say I was looking hard before and always down in late summer. they own over 7000 acres and the entire backside of the mountain is Timber, farmed fields, and pastures.

So I started looking into turkey hunting the state and licenses, I was looking at Kill reports from previous years. it said that Rockingham county over the past 5 years harvest only about 140 birds a year and 0.65 sq. mile. that seemed really really low since im used to good turkey counties in PA to produce 2000-3000 turkeys and 6 birds per sq. mile.

So Is there not that many turkeys in Virginia? not that many turkey hunters? or am I reading into this all wrong?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

I dont mind a challenge but if finding turkeys in the state is few and far between its probably not worth the effort. I would think it was covered in them just like deer, its got tons of perfect habitat.

any help appreciated
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

struttin_1

My Dad also has a time share at Massanutten Resort. We have never used it for hunting though, so I can't give you any info on the bird #'s. I do know the place is loaded with deer and some nice ones at that.

Timber Chicken

wvboy

There are no Turkeys in VA .. :)

I have never hunted that exact area.. but have hunted within 45 minutes of there in Markham.. that area is not the best for Turkey.. but there are some around.. the best areas in the state are down further south around central VA and Roanoke, or east toward the coast.. The northern part where I happen to live .. is just not as good period.. but they are around..

Sound to me like I need to go noth to PA if you have that many birds :)

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

PANYHunter

Quote from: wvboy on March 15, 2011, 10:42:59 AM

Sound to me like I need to go noth to PA if you have that many birds :)

Taunto was wrong there are no birds in PA ;) 

GOLD HUNTER

not that many turkey hunters in Virginia... SO STAY HOME !!! :angel9:

NO TURKEYS IN VA.  :bike2:

brian

CAMONICK

I have hunted the "Western slope" or backside of massanutten that you are talking about. There arnt many, if any turkeys on it, there is a small flock that was transplanted on a adjoining piece of private property, But I dont think those birds spend much time on the Mass property or the adjoining natl forest. Farther up Massanutten mtn in the area known as Catherines furnace is a better spot for turkeys, but an even better spot is in the western portions of the county on the natl forest. There are lots of deer, and bear in the resort, and as someone said before, some big ones at that. I really havent given massanutten much effort for turkey season, soo you might want to take my advice with that caution noted. I hope this helps.

econo

lived in va for 44 years now, only seen 1 turkey, and it was around the DC area :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:!!  There just not here
May God bless you all

TauntoHawk

camonick that was more helpful than I expected to get, thank you. thats kind of what I thought, while I cant say Ive gone out looking for turkeys specifically there A hunter never stops hunting so ive observed alot of other wildlife there but never a single turkey. its a shame because it looks like a beautiful area to chase them in. the amount of deer on the resort is unreal.

what did you hunt there, deer? how was the hunting, always wondered if all the deer just lived in the resort or if the mountain had that many deer roaming around.

I think we'll go with our second option which is his uncle lives near Kansas City so we might make the long drive down there and try some public land. no ones gonna tell me theres no birds down there

again thanks for all the replies guys, just looking to expand the season a bit without breaking the bank. Had news from NY of 3 strutters gobbling a storm up this afternoon in NY on a farm we hunt. so I can feel that its just around the corner now

ahfox16

My Parents live in Harrisonburg within sight of Massanutten on a 200 plus acre farm.  I've seen one bird (a hen) there as long as they have owned the property (30 years).  Good many deer, but the turkey's just aren't around.   Never have figured it out, because they have Alfalfa, water, lots of roosting tree's etc.  Just no birds.

CAMONICK

yes Ive mainly hunted it for deer, The backside does not have near the population of deer that the resort has, but still has a  huntable population. I dont spend a great amount time hunting the property, because it just hasnt produced anything that has gotten me to excited. There have probably been many more "trophey" bears taken off that mountain than trophey deer. The natl forest in the western portions of the county holds really good populations of turkey though. That would mean if you stayed at massanutten you would have roughly a 35 minute drive to get to good hunting. Wherever you decide to hunt, i hope its a good hunt, with lots of turkey talk.