News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What would u do?

Started by lmbhngr, March 14, 2011, 10:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybow

Quote from: sugarray on March 15, 2011, 08:48:14 AM
I cannot see how a person could even make the request.  He gave the gun away 12 yrs ago.  He has lost all rights to the gun.  When your FIL passed away all agreements between them did as well, as apparently your FIL did not pass those agreements on to you.

You should not feel bad, this is your son's gun from his grandfather.  A gift is a gift given, not a rental to be returned.

:icon_thumright:
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Preacher

These things have a way of getting messy,  talk to your mother-in-law,  make sure she didn't give it to your friend, if she did then even though he called and asked for your blessing its his call.  If he just has it on loan so to speak, waiting for you to claim it then its your decision.   Either way I think you are being put on the spot.   I hope a gun doesn't cost anyone a friendship.

I get called in to referee this kinda stuff a lot more than I like,  its all avoidable.   Get a legal WILL,   its kinda unpleasant to think about dying,   but if you want to give somebody some after you pass away,  WRITE IT DOWN.   ,  the more details the less chance greed has.
Romans 8:37

I hate turkeys

Go get the guys kid another gun let him make memories with that one keep the other one.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

flintlock

If I am understanding it right, I would tell him your son has been waiting for 12 years on it.  Shoot the IRS only goes back 7.

:you_rock:
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

FireFly908

The consensus appears to be, and I agree with it, the gun should stay with your son.  His wanting the gun back after 12 years appears to be very odd, especially since there doesn't appear to be any sentimental value on the friends part.
Are we really getting the whole story?  Also, if I'm hearing right, it was your friend that the gun was originally given to.  If so, and you are still friends, couldn't a sit down conversation settle this.  If he is a real friend and understands your consternation, he wouldn't want the gun back.
Whatever happens, please fill us in when it is settled!

lmbhngr

problem solved I talked to the guy and told him we were going to keep the gun but if anything ever changed I promised him his son would get it. He totally understood. Problem solved. Thanks for all the input.

sugarray

Sure glad it worked out, and did so without words or fighting.  Get that boy a deer with that gun!!
:fud:

lmbhngr

I was gonna put some tape on it and let him use it for turkeys!!