OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What would u do?

Started by lmbhngr, March 14, 2011, 10:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbhngr

12 YEARS AGO my father in law passed away. After he did a friend of mine bought one of his guns from the family. He always said when my son was old enough he would the gun to him. The gun has killed many deer, therefore, lots of sentimental value. Every year he shot a deer with the gun he made sure to come and share the story with us. Each year he asks if we think my son is ready for the gun. TONIGHT  I get a phone call; the man who gave my father in law the gun has a grandson who would like the gun back for his son(4 yrs.old). Part of me says give him the gun another part says why you lookin for it 12 yrs. later?

Crutch

Your call, no mater what happens, but if I understand the facts. A friend is going to give your son the gun or has, and the original owner before your father in law wants it back. I would have to say no, or your friend that aquired it from your father in law could say no, and keep you out of the loop.   

It has always been my feeling that a gift can't be sold or traded, it has to remain a gift.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

handcannon

I agree. I feel like the gun should go to your son as originally planned. Dont know why after all this time this fella decides he wants it back to give to his grandson. It's been out of his hands way too long.

BoWhoop

Seems to me your friend who bought the gun has already committed to giving it to your son.

bowhunter84

thats a tough call to make

mmims

No greed here but Your Son's Gun! End of Story! Think od your Father In law's wishes!

Mike

PANYHunter

That is a tough call.   Do you know if the original owner and your FIL had that agreement?  If they did, the right thing to do would be to give it back.  If the original owners grandson is only 4 the rifle is probably too big for him anyway.  Maybe you could work it out  so your son can use it for a few years and pass it along to the original owner.  If there wasn't an original agreement I would say no, 12 years is a long time if he hasn't mentioned it until no.  That's just my opinion.  Good luck with your decision.

bowhunter84

Quote from: mmims on March 15, 2011, 08:43:53 AM
No greed here but Your Son's Gun! End of Story! Think od your Father In law's wishes!

Mike
:agreed:

as i said it's a tough call but i agree with mike

sugarray

I cannot see how a person could even make the request.  He gave the gun away 12 yrs ago.  He has lost all rights to the gun.  When your FIL passed away all agreements between them did as well, as apparently your FIL did not pass those agreements on to you.

You should not feel bad, this is your son's gun from his grandfather.  A gift is a gift given, not a rental to be returned.

bowhunter84

Quote from: sugarray on March 15, 2011, 08:48:14 AM
I cannot see how a person could even make the request.  He gave the gun away 12 yrs ago.  He has lost all rights to the gun.  When your FIL passed away all agreements between them did as well, as apparently your FIL did not pass those agreements on to you.

You should not feel bad, this is your son's gun from his grandfather.  A gift is a gift given, not a rental to be returned.

very well said

PANYHunter

I agree with this as well. I think the original owner should have "claimed" it when your FIL passed if they had that agreement.  This is a tough decision.     

turkey slayer

:agreed: 100%

M Sharpe

Quote from: mmims on March 15, 2011, 08:43:53 AM

Mike
Apparently the father in law had no wishes. Personally, I would have never sold the gun. It is a gracious offer for your friend to buy the gun and then give the gun back to your son. As for the other guy that gave the gun to your father-in-law, he would be out of luck.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

lmbhngr

At the time of my FIL`s death my son was 2. My mother in law saved 2 guns for me and asked if my friend was interested in the other. He said yes. Later, came to me and told me he would give it to my son when he was ready. The guy who wants the gun back never hunted before now he has a son would like it for him.

lmbhngr

Let me add he is willing to buy the gun. He doesn`t expect it to be given to him.