OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1st Turkey Hunt. What a SHOW!

Started by Ranman, March 14, 2011, 09:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranman

Did not get a chance to go on youth weekend, weather was terrible.  So I took my 8 year old son on Saturday for his first Turkey hunt.  He had a morning soccer game, so we had to make an evening hunt.

I decided since it was his first go at it, we would use a ground blind. Set up in a food plot near a big hardwood ridge.  Put out a  couple of decoys, one hen and one jake.  After we got settled, I called with a few soft yelps on the old trusty Lynch box, and put it down.  It was not long, three jakes came in to the set up.  I was shaking so bad, he had to tell me to calm down.  He got the gun up, and was looking down the barrel, then he looked at me and said he did not want to shoot.  I told him  that was ok, and we just watched.  I am glad we did, because those three birds put on one heck of a show.  They were about 15 yards away, we could hear them spit, and drum, they strutted and even tried to mount the hen decoy. Man what a show.  He told me it was like watching the outdoor channel in person. 

Those jakes stayed around for 45 min. and eventually walked off.  He saw more on his first  hunt, than a lot of hunters ever get to see.    It would have been nice to see him get his first bird, but I am sure he'll shoot when he is ready. 

Ranman

OLE RASPY

sounds like fun glad yall enjoyed it.

hookedspur

OUT FREAKEN STANDING what a man, He is way ahead of most on his first hunt.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hognutz

The kid has scruples. I would never have let them walk when I was 8. Probably would have shot all three. Kudo's to your son, and good luck in the upcoming hunts..Mike   :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

turkeybow

:z-winnersmiley: Now that is cool!  That will be one memory that you 2 will cherish forever!!
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

kansas hooks

That is Awesome!!!!....Heck my first turkey was a jake and I was 20 something years old. 

handcannon

That's really good that the young man has standards at an early age. I thought it was funny that he had to tell you to calm down. I felt like I was going to have a seizure when my son's first bird came in to a gun. Congratulations on raising a great little hunter. Best of luck to both of you. Now go get that baby a longbeard!

yellowacorns

the boy is going to have a lot of patience.  What an outstanding trait in a young hunter! Way to go :you_rock:

njdevilsb

That is awesome.  I bet he is hooked for good now.

BOFF

It's quite amazing what one may see if the trigger is slow to pull.

Congrats to you both, on making a memory to share for a lifetime!!

God Bless,
David B.

turkey slayer

Quote from: Hognutz on March 14, 2011, 09:46:33 PM
The kid has scruples. I would never have let them walk when I was 8. Probably would have shot all three. Kudo's to your son, and good luck in the upcoming hunts..Mike   :you_rock:
:agreed: I would have lined up heads!

PANYHunter

Congrats on the great hunt.  You two will remember that hunt for the rest of your lives.  Good luck on your upcoming hunts together.   :z-guntootsmiley:

bowhunter84

Hootowl

That was something. Keep him Huntin. Sounds like a Neat Little fellow.....I am about to become a Grandpa, and I dream of those days....Thanks for sharing.

Hoot

LX_Trkyhntr

That's what it's all about!! :icon_thumright:  Getting out there and letting the child have fun, it's not always about killing.  You did your son a great service by not pressuring him into shooting one of those birds.  My hat's off to you! :you_rock:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i