OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All this pot...

Started by L.F. Cox, March 23, 2014, 08:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L.F. Cox

Makes me want to move to Colorado  :policeman:

The little sanded spots on glass pot calls have always irked me....

I've never figured out why a pot callmaker would only condition a small spot on a glass call ?

From a hunters stand point it make no sense....when hunting with a pot call do you want to look down at your call before you can use it ? I've called turkeys in with my pot call laying on the ground beside me with one hand....picked up and put down the striker several times during the course of battle.

What if a gobbler slips in and you need to give him one more little call and you pot call is laying on the ground beside you ?

You find your striker and your call with one hand..what next ?

No time to look for little magic sanded fweet spots....

Fellows if you are going to make pOt calls for turkey hunters condition the entire surface and stop worrying about some little lOgo you got showing.

gwa

Good point Frank...
My glass calls I usually do 2/3rds solid conditioning and the non conditioned bottom edge I rest my palm on for consistency and orientation, again this when you are just calling per normal but as you stated, in the heat of the moment and no time to worry about how it is sitting on the ground, a great tip.
As of late I have been just carrying a slate pot call anyhow, they sound more like hens to me.

Denny

pappy

Frank, this is the first time I will have to agree with you on an issue. I have wondered the same thing, taking the time to search the pot for the striking surface while you're perched in position sounds like an invitation to jump up and wave and scream at a Tom coming in. I end up covering 2/3 of my striking surface, and have been contemplating to do the whole area, now thanks to your eye opening post, I believe you won't be seeing any more clear spots on my pots. (Unless someone wants a pot call as a memorial with pics under the glass) Thank you Frank for the eye opener. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

mudhen

I don't think anyone should make anything that anyone might not like....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

outdoors

I DONT KNOW , , ,  I SCRATCH IT ALL UP .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

sbbow

that is a very good point.

memert116

I'm not sure how practical it is but maybe they do it as a test spot prior to shipping it.  I agree that once it's in the hunters hands then all bets are off and it's time to just call like you mean it.

COssman14

I scratch is all up also. I would guess the call makers do it just to test it out that way the buyer can do what ever he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

bigbird

I see the call makers point here, he's selling you his quality and craftsmanship. It's not his place to rough up the entire surface, just enough to ensure that it sounds good,and it gives me the idea that he tried it and was happy with it before he mailed it. I don't scuff up the entire face of my pots, I finish em off with a mouth call if I have to or scratching in the leaves with my feet or what have you. I like to keep em looking as nice as I can for as long as I can. Just my 2 cents.

nx95240

Jasonb53

hunter22

Heven't you guys missed all that knOw-it-all advice???  ;D ;D

Terry

My take has always been that the maker leaves it up to the buyer to do what he wants with it. Why take away any options?

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

boatpaddle

Quote from: hunter22 on June 23, 2014, 05:33:34 PM
Heven't you guys missed all that knOw-it-all advice???  ;D ;D

NO !! :goofball:
Recognize
Adapt