OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20ga patterning question - "crooked" barrel?

Started by bamahunter, March 22, 2014, 06:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamahunter

So I've got a 12ga TriStar Viper G2 that I just bought a Carlson's Turkey Choke and shot for the 1st time. (gun been used successfully on ducks and dove) I shot Federal Prem 3in, 1 5/16oz, 6 shot and with pretty good pellet count in a 9" circle from 15-30 yards however it seem to be shooting a couple inches to the left (and maybe low). I may not have shot enough to make that conclusion and didn't have any access to other shells to see if a different load would be better. Could it be the loads? Could it be the choke? If not... how could I fix that issue if the barrel is "crooked"... never noticed it with ducks or dove.

stringtalker

You can either put a scope on it or put some fiber optic turkey sights on it so you can adjust the POI or POA
Douglas

BigStrutter

Probably a little of both. Take the choke out and see where your POI is without it. Definitely try some different shells as well. If it is the choke get you some adjustable sights. But in my opinion, a well made choke that is center of pattern will not change POA/POI all that much. 
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

redarrow

Do not shoot it without a choke in place ! adjustable sights are your best bet. You don't notice it with doves cause your probably shooting further and your swinging thru the shot.

BigStrutter

Quote from: redarrow on March 22, 2014, 08:06:56 PM
Do not shoot it without a choke in place ! adjustable sights are your best bet. You don't notice it with doves cause your probably shooting further and your swinging thru the shot.

Sorry if you thought I meant to shoot it without a choke. What I mean is to remove the turkey choke and shoot with the factory one it came with.

bamahunter

I'm kind of leaning that way anyway. I do plan to try the factor full choke and see what happens as I just wrote it off and should have played with it some. Honestly I don't even know where to start with looking for adjustable sights... any affordable, go-to stuff out there that doesn't require tapping holes anywhere? Barrel does have vented rib.

bamahunter

Quote from: BigStrutter on March 22, 2014, 07:13:22 PM
Probably a little of both. Take the choke out and see where your POI is without it. Definitely try some different shells as well. If it is the choke get you some adjustable sights. But in my opinion, a well made choke that is center of pattern will not change POA/POI all that much.

Good suggestion, I'm going to work with the full choke that came with the gun to determine POI and maybe that will tell me something. Should have attempted that to begin with!

BigStrutter

I have the Truglo pro series magnum gobble dot sights. They tighten down on the rib great and have windage and elevation adjustments. Got mine for $50.

strutter

If it is off too much the windage adjustment on the sights may not fix it enough. I had to go with a red dot to get POI and POA to match.

redarrow

Quote from: BigStrutter on March 22, 2014, 08:52:42 PM

Sorry if you thought I meant to shoot it without a choke. What I mean is to remove the turkey choke and shoot with the factory one it came with.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: