OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Describe your Ideal Pattern. The one you are chasing.

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 21, 2014, 11:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Mine?  Simple.  About 300 Total in 20", with 140-150 of them in 10".

Most chokes and loads do this, but at different distances.  So it's a question of how far out do I want to hit my 300 in 20".  I have one combo that does this right at 40 Yards, others that do so closer in than that, and still others that do so farther on out.

If I can't get 300 in 20" at "X" Yards, then I want the tradeoff to be larger pellets.

jhcats10

Skeeterbait

50 percent of the shot in the shell inside 10 inches at 40 yards and you have pretty much maximized the potential of that shell.  Best pattern I have ever shot was 56 percent.  That pattern was 233 in the 10 with a XRHD 3.5" #6.

gobblingghost

Tom Foolery

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 21, 2014, 11:24:16 PM
Mine?  Simple.  About 300 Total in 20", with 140-150 of them in 10".

If I can't get 300 in 20" at "X" Yards, then I want the tradeoff to be larger pellets.

That's my goal because I figure that's about as solid as a 40yd and in hunting pattern can get and if you make a yardage error you have enough to help you out if it's over 40.

Agreed on the larger pellets too.

DirtNap647

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

allaboutshooting

I'm not into numbers of pellets as much as I want to see a good, even core density within a 10" circle at 40 yards and a 14" halo pattern with good density. I'm not subjective about what defines a good pattern. I don't like to see gaps of more than 2" in either area and not many of them.

Lastly, it's just so important to pattern in the temperatures and humidity levels that we normally hunt. A great pattern at 70 degrees may not be so good at 40 or 50 degrees. Ambient temperature affects patterns more than we sometimes realize.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Longshanks

The best pattern I shoot is 333 in a 10" @ 40. The 20" is excellent as well. Proven pattern that I have shot turkeys from 12 yards on out. I tinker around with different loads and different guns for fun with no expectation of getting close to this set up. This gun/choke/shell combo has depended on the 3.5/2.25/7's which has dropped off quite a bit in numbers. I'm fine with the number drop off as long as the patterns are consistent and no gaps. This combo will turn 230's with Hevi 13 3.5/2.25/6's as well which is killer on the turkeys. Too bad Hevi 13 can't keep a good load going for an extended period of time. I stocked up on quite a bit of the 7's and 6's while they were shooting well. Gonna run the Win LB 3.5 6's through the gun and see what happens.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteToo bad Hevi 13 can't keep a good load going for an extended period of time.

What is the real problem there at Hevi?  Do their suppliers keep discontinuing Wads or Powders?  It seems like Magnum Blend has been their most consistent shell to date.

The Winchester XRHD #6 shell was awesome too.  It appears that the Longbeard XR will put up just as good or even better numbers than it did.

If Federal would put out 15 g/cc #7 HTL in a conventional wad design, that would be the shizzle.

L.F. Cox

I stopped chasing paper holes several years back...

Here's my ideal pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwjFvWa9Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CflAvFFGXIs

And I didn't count a pellet hole.

BandedSpur

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 23, 2014, 12:15:28 AM
QuoteToo bad Hevi 13 can't keep a good load going for an extended period of time.

What is the real problem there at Hevi?  Do their suppliers keep discontinuing Wads or Powders?  It seems like Magnum Blend has been their most consistent shell to date.

The Winchester XRHD #6 shell was awesome too.  It appears that the Longbeard XR will put up just as good or even better numbers than it did.

If Federal would put out 15 g/cc #7 HTL in a conventional wad design, that would be the shizzle.

They'd be even better with 8s. The 7s have way more penetration than you can use.

R AJ

One with a gobbler's head right in the center   :gobble: The only thing missing for me right now. Arrrrg!

Longshanks

Quote from: RAJ on March 23, 2014, 08:49:40 AM
One with a gobbler's head right in the center   :gobble: The only thing missing for me right now. Arrrrg!

Yea, its been slow here around MS with the weather.  Most of the turkeys Ive heard of with the exception of a few were all two year olds. Good hunting is still down the road.