OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hung up bird tactics

Started by kevin2, March 21, 2014, 06:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I had a hard time with several hung up birds last year. A couple in the hardwoods I couldn't see, and several I got called into 50-75 yards BUT couldn't get them any closer.

I know that several have mentioned that using a  hand gobbler AND/OR mouth call gobble could help close the deal. Got that in the bag of tricks now.

I figured there has to be loads of other ways to get them to come in?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Flydown

Slow everything down and be patient.

tomstopper

Quote from: Flydown on March 21, 2014, 06:13:37 PM
Slow everything down and be patient.
^^^This. Last year I had a guy at work who had one hang up so he said he started to call a little more to bring the gobbler in. It didn't work. I explained to him that when the gobbler hung up, he was doing what nature had designed him to do. He did not know that the hens usually go to the gobbler and that this why the hens are calling to let him know where she is. He goes to where she is and struts and if she doesn't come to him he leaves. IMO your better off being quite and if he moves off, move to where he was and call a little. This has made them come back for me before....

Rokhal07

Get em fired up and go silent seems to work too sometimes

eddie234

A couple years ago i had one hung up and it was getting close to the noon quiting time. I figured id shut up and if he didnt come in id know where he was for the next day. After going silent it was about 10 minutes and i saw his head coming up the hill.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Dtrkyman

when possible I sneak away calling aggressively and get back where I was quick, then keep quiet!

I think the real key is calling while moving, it really seems to trip there trigger many times, when the terrain or cover allows it I call while moving back and forth for a minute or two then sit quietly and wait.

I have also had really aggressive calling work well, but not sure it is the best route, but it does work for me!   

bigbird

Be patient.... Sounds like you carry everything in your vest already and bought the best decoys money can buy! Stop over thinking all of it, be patient, slow down and react not contradict! Follow your gut in situations and stop with all the worrying about every single scenario.

Garrett Trentham

Patience has killed more turkeys than any call.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

RemingtonRules

The closer they get the quieter I get.  I would scratch in the leaves before I used a gobble call. Learn to purr and two note soft yelp and sit quiet. :z-twocents:

triplebeard

Sit and be quiet.  I have had good luck just letting them move off then coming back the next day, do a fly down cackle after a couple yelps then just scratch in the leaves without calling.  Also knowing the land and where a bird wants to be has killed more for me than any calling.

kevin2

This is a great tip.

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 21, 2014, 08:21:16 PM
when possible I sneak away calling aggressively and get back where I was quick, then keep quiet!

I think the real key is calling while moving, it really seems to trip there trigger many times, when the terrain or cover allows it I call while moving back and forth for a minute or two then sit quietly and wait.

I have also had really aggressive calling work well, but not sure it is the best route, but it does work for me!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

DirtNap647

sometimes just going silent and patience will work

Gooserbat

Quote from: kevin2 on March 21, 2014, 06:08:49 PM

I figured there has to be loads of other ways to get them to come in?

Loads?  Sounds like you already know what you need.  LONGBEARD XR there's your loads for 70 yard hung up birds.   :TooFunny:

NO in all seriousness I like the leaf scratch, shut up and don't call, if I can't be seen some times I move 40-50 yards farther back ( you know play hard to get) but probably the biggest thing is be patient, and wait for his next move.  After he moves you usually can know what to do next.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ctburdchasr

It wasn't until last year I learned a lot about dealing with hung up birds, I had two stuck at about 35 yards, a lot of cluck and purr and still nothing. They were blowing the top out of the trees gobbling every time I clucked. My bow was  up the release was on the string I was set. But they wouldn't come. When all of a sudden the man upstairs listened and a lone hen came in to the decoy. I was running two avian x LCD decoys the feeder and the lookout hen. I shut up and let her do the talking. She clucked purred whined purred and clucked again all very softly, a lot quieter than I had done. And a great deal less frequently as well. the gobblers shut up and I thought all was lost. They obviously weren't excited anymore....until they finally came through the thicket heads up they went to full strut I drew back and released a great kill shot on a wonderful bird. What I took from that is even though they we're excited over my calling and gobbling constantly it wasn't the right music. Slow down call VERY quietly and a lot less often and they will come in. I can't wait for May so I can once again enjoy the frustration of hung up birds and foiled setups. Good luck man

bamagtrdude

I've found a lot of success with the "Hen Has Left The Building" tactic, which others have already mentioned here.  Basically, you fool the ole tom into believing that the "hot hen" has left him; usually, he'll at least come in close enough to investigate, which'll be close enough to take him.  Whether that's not calling at all, or (as I do often) "throwing" my call behind me, very quietly, but placing my hand over my mouth & "directing" my calling behind my back -- either way, it can be very effective.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)