Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anybody use an O/U 12ga to turkey hunt with?

Started by TJK68, March 20, 2014, 01:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJK68

Been thinking of getting another turkey killer, I can get a super deal on a new 870, a guy has a used 835 that has only been shot a couple of times or I was looking at my LGS and saw a Mossberg Maverick O/U. I just thought the Mossy O/U would be different and it did shoulder good, but want some opinions on them, as well as hunting with any O/U.
Thanks Tom

CrustyRusty

I'd rather get the remmy or 835 over the maverick. However, if you step up a bit in quality over,the maverick then a double can be quite effective.

TJK68

That is what I figured on the quality end.  I can get the used Mossy, which the guy just dropped it off for me to check out, the gun looks brand new for $275. It is an 835 Ultimag in Mossy Oak. The new Remington 870 express is about $340 non camo, and the Maverick is $425. After seeing this gun I am leaning towards the 835, but the 870 I could use more for an all around shotgun. I will just have to do some thinking.

jarbo03

I've hunted the last 3 years with a Mossy Silver Reserve o/u, I prefer it over a single barrel gun.    They are not the highest of quality, but should serve you well for low volume hunting or shooting.  This year i bought a FABARM Mag Lion O/U, shpuld be set for many years to come.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

275 for that mossy is tough to beat. You have a tough choice good luck

BandedSpur

Beretta 686 UL 28" barrels and FF III. Lt mod with handload of 1.25 oz buffered 7.5s in top barrel for 30 yds and in, 1.625 oz TSS 9s through Briley .683 in bottom barrel for 30 yds and out.

CrustyRusty

Is that a ribrider bandedspur?  How do you like it a nd does it add a bunch of weight

BandedSpur

It's a B Square rib mount. Mount, FF III and lightweight sling add 3/4 lb to gun. Works great.

owlhoot

:icon_thumright: :morning:
That is a neat setup right there, choke selection and loads at the ranges you need them to work.

With all  the talk about to tight close in right now, you have that problem whipped good.
Nice classic looking  gun too     :icon_thumright:

BandedSpur

Quote from: owlhoot on March 22, 2014, 07:58:48 AM
:icon_thumright: :morning:
That is a neat setup right there, choke selection and loads at the ranges you need them to work.

With all  the talk about to tight close in right now, you have that problem whipped good.
Nice classic looking  gun too     :icon_thumright:

Thanks.

CrustyRusty

thanks bandedspur. That is a cool setup. How does it clamp on. Are there screws that thread thru it from under the rib. My concern is that if you have a solid rib how does it work. Thanks

TJK68

Yep, that is a nice setup for sure, thanks for the repIies guys. I ended up buying the new 870, nothing fancy but LGS made me a really good deal, make me a nice muti purpose shotgun. I still want an O/U in the future though.

BandedSpur

Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 22, 2014, 08:44:56 AM
thanks bandedspur. That is a cool setup. How does it clamp on. Are there screws that thread thru it from under the rib. My concern is that if you have a solid rib how does it work. Thanks

It wouldn't work with a solid rib. It has two thin plates that go under your vent rib between the posts. Bolts go through the mount into the plates. There are also set screws that clamp against the posts from the side.

CrustyRusty

Thats what i was afraid of. Oh well thanks