turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

LASIK (Updated)!!

Started by bowhunter2k9, March 20, 2014, 08:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellwaster

I'm not familiar with them. My consultation is with the Woolfoson Eye Center. If you have experience with the Blue Laser Group please PM me with your experience.

bowhunter2k9

My LASIK is this morning at 8:00!! Prayers welcome!!
Romans 8:38-39

Frank G

Quote from: bowhunter2k9 on April 04, 2014, 06:53:49 AM
My LASIK is this morning at 8:00!! Prayers welcome!!

G@@d luck ...................... :drool:

Frank G  In Tennessee

Shellwaster

Good luck and let us know how it goes

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: Shellwaster on April 04, 2014, 06:13:17 PM
Good luck and let us know how it goes

It was a success!! Went to my post op exam at 4:00, had 20/15 in both eyes, just a little cloudy vision... Kind of like a dry contact... Eyes have a bit of blood but zero pain!!

Shellwaster

Way to go man. Was it blade less or traditional with the microkerometet (spelling?)?

bowhunter2k9

It was blade less... All they used was a laser!

FL-Boss

what was your vision before?

bowhunter2k9

20/120 I think... Like a -1.75

Frank G

Outstanding,
The dryness will go away. :icon_thumright:

Frank G  In Tennessee

Shellwaster

Well I went for my free lasik consultation today and instead of the sales pitch the doctor said that I don't need lasik and that I can see 20/20 without corrective lenses. The only reason I need them is because after several hours without them my eyes strain to stay focused. So, there is vision measured in 20/20, 20/30, 20/40 and so on and then there is focus. He said come back in 10 years when my eyes aren't 20/20 anymore and they can fix my vision as well as the focus problem and the slight astigmatism in my right eye. So it looks like I will be wearing uncomfortable contacts for awhile.

I'm conflicted with this news as I'm tired of wearing lenses or glasses, been in one or the other for the last 26 of my 34 years, but glad I don't have to spend the money or finance it. Maybe in 10 years it will be a procedure paid for by obamacare?

BowBendr

I still wish this surgery was an option for me....I know that bird that bolted on me yesterday at 30 yds had to have seen the glare from my glasses. I hate wearing glasses while hunting. Been wearing them 5 years and I still haven't gotten used to having them on my face in the woods.

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: Shellwaster on April 15, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
Well I went for my free lasik consultation today and instead of the sales pitch the doctor said that I don't need lasik and that I can see 20/20 without corrective lenses. The only reason I need them is because after several hours without them my eyes strain to stay focused. So, there is vision measured in 20/20, 20/30, 20/40 and so on and then there is focus. He said come back in 10 years when my eyes aren't 20/20 anymore and they can fix my vision as well as the focus problem and the slight astigmatism in my right eye. So it looks like I will be wearing uncomfortable contacts for awhile.

I'm conflicted with this news as I'm tired of wearing lenses or glasses, been in one or the other for the last 26 of my 34 years, but glad I don't have to spend the money or finance it. Maybe in 10 years it will be a procedure paid for by obamacare?

Did he not suggest permanent contacts or a different surgery? My doctor regularly put in permanent contacts as well.

bowhunter2k9

UPDATE!!  My vision is now 100% no cloudy and is still 20/15!!! They are a little dryer than my eyes withoUt surgery but I put drops in when needed

Marc

I saw this post, and although I am new to the forums I am an optometrist.  I do a lot of the pre-op and post-op care for lasik surgeries.

Running a small private practice, I also recommend to patients whether or not they are good candidates.

There are a lot of misconceptions about lasik, but here is a list of some issues which make any patient a poor candidate:

Hyperopic prescription for glasses.

Too much Astigmatism (over 3.50 diopters of cylinder or astigmatic prescription).

Dry eyes.

Any ocular surface disorder

Cataracts that might have to be removed within 10 years.  (We all get cataracts as we age, many of us need them removed at some point in our life.

Lasik is something you do not want to price shop for.  Best way to find a good lasik surgeon is to go to a good optometrist.  We see the results from all of the surgical centers, and have a pretty good handle on who is good and who is not.  Also, you are paying for the technology when you are paying for lasik.

Dry eyes will almost always get worse after lasik.  If someone with dry eyes wants to do the procedure, I generally treat and resolve those dry eye issues before sending a patient in for lasik.  This can take up to a year, and in many cases, I recommend the patient does not get the procedure done.

If you do get your vision corrected for distance, at some point in your 40's you will need glasses to read with.  The cornea is responsible for focusing the majority of the light to the back of the eye.  The lens also helps to focus the light, but more importantly the lens is what adjusts our focus from far to near work.  As we get into our 40's the lens becomes less flexible and cannot adjust our focus as well (thus the reason that we need bifocals).  Lasik surgery reshapes the cornea, and has no effect on the lens, so you will need glasses to see up close at some point in your 40's if you get both eyes corrected for distance.

P.S. can someone explain to me how to do a bullet or numbered list on this forum?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.