turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who uses a Gobbler call?

Started by kevin2, March 19, 2014, 09:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

The Haint!!! Wouldn't go in the woods without it..situational use only, but I've had it for one full season and it has already caused a couple birds to have a headache.

Heller

I use one, mostly for a locator but have used it at times on hung up birds

eddie234

I've got an hs strut and quaker boy shaker tube ones. I'll use them if nothing else seem to be working. A couple yelps and a double gobble.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

turkeyfoot

I don't because I hunt public land most of time and its pressured so good way to get shot would be to gobble

TRKYHTR

I do. I keep it in my bag of tricks. I killed a gobbler a few years ago with 1 3/4" spurs by gobbling at him.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

ferocious calls

I do too when it seems needed but, will more often Jake or gobbler yelp if want to appear less aggressive. Just another tool. It is a shaker Quaker boy I think. Good for roosting at times as well.

935hevi

I use the Haint just purchased my second one.  And I wont leave for the woods without it. It takes practice to get a good gobble sound out of it but by far is the most realalistic gobbler call on the market.  Had it one year and has helped with 3 dirtnaps.  If you have a strutting decoy set up you better hold on to the base of the tree.

Gobble!

I keep a haint on me all the time. If the bird is giving me trouble I use it. Over the past 2 seasons it has played significant part in the death of 4 gobblers.

Rio Fan

I bought a Knight and Hale Hail Fire last year.  It worked really well for me in the evenings to get birds to gobble on the roost.  I did it use to try to challenge a couple longbeards that were strutting out in a meadow with their hens and they'd gobble back at me, but I couldn't convince them to leave their ladies.  Years ago I used a Primos gobble shaker as a last resort on a group of birds that were out in a field and moving away from me and they actually responded to the gobbles and came in to investigate and I whacked one of them. 

bamagtrdude

When the situation calls for it, I use a Knight & Hale Hale Fire call; it works.  Also can use a box call, an old Primos "shaker" type gobble call, etc.  I use it as the "path of last resort", most of the times; it's not part of my "regular" routine.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

buzzardroost

I have used one numerous times with success. Primos Shaker.  When you start yelping with a diaphragm and then cut off your own yelp with a gobble, a lot of gobblers just cant stand it and will come in fast.

jblackburn

I wouldn't say I use it as part of a "routine" but I have successfully used gobbler calls to seal the deal.  I think it is a good late season tactic.

A couple years ago I gobbled at a bird in Kansas on the last day of the season who hung up at 80 yards then decided to go the other way.  As a Hail Mary, I gobbled at him (with my voice) when he was about 150 yards out.  He turned on a dime and met a face full of 6s just a few seconds later.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Spring_Woods

Never have, for no other reason than I just...never have!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Gooserbat

I use a two sided box and it can work wonders on a stubborn bird or even on a bird who is alone.  A few years back my Dad pulled a bird from over 1/4 mile away with a single gobble.  he came in on a string so to speak.  Just another trick in the bag.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Heller

Quote from: turkeyfoot on March 20, 2014, 09:48:05 AM
I don't because I hunt public land most of time and its pressured so good way to get shot would be to gobble

Are you dressed up as a turkey?  :turkey2:  seriously though, I hunt public land and private land, I have never once thought on public land that if I gobbled I would get shot at.