OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who uses a Gobbler call?

Started by kevin2, March 19, 2014, 09:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

Who uses a gobbler call of some sort as part of their routine to call in birds? If so, what particular gobbler call is it? What Gobbler calls aren't worth trying?!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

MouthCaller

Quote from: kevin2 on March 19, 2014, 09:54:54 PM
Who uses a gobbler call of some sort as part of their routine to call in birds? If so, what particular gobbler call is it? What Gobbler calls aren't worth trying?!
I have one but rarely use it... it's a primos and to me doesn't sound the greatest but the one time I had a bird hang up on me and I used it he came in to investigate. They work I just don't use them unless it's that very situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Garrett Trentham

In my experience, they run the bird off nine times out of ten. I do gobble at times (on a box call), but usually as a last ditch, I have to leave the woods and he isn't budging, move. If you have time to keep hunting him, you can usually try a different tactic with a higher chance of success.

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

MouthCaller

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 19, 2014, 10:09:12 PM
In my experience, they run the bird off nine times out of ten. I do gobble at times (on a box call), but usually as a last ditch, I have to leave the woods and he isn't budging, move. If you have time to keep hunting him, you can usually try a different tactic with a higher chance of success.
That all depends on how dominate the bird is which is almost impossible to tell I fully agree they can run a bird off but do can a full strut decoy. Gobble at a hung up boss and he'll be in your lap. Just speaking from my experience.

Dtrkyman

I killed a gobbler once on public ground in Missouri, played with the same bird three days in a row and could not get him inside 60-70 yds and actually never even saw him, was hesitant to gobble on public but had seen no others for the three mornings so I said why not, gobbled once and let me tell you that bird was on me immediately!!! pounded him at 30 yds!! that was with a shaker type call, quaker boy maybe.

I gobble on my mouth call and get plenty of responses but have had none react like that one!

mossyoakpro

Quote from: MouthCaller on March 19, 2014, 10:12:59 PM
Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 19, 2014, 10:09:12 PM
That all depends on how dominate the bird is which is almost impossible to tell I fully agree they can run a bird off but do can a full strut decoy. Gobble at a hung up boss and he'll be in your lap. Just speaking from my experience.

Same here...I am fortunate enough to hunt private land with some ag fields, if I see a dominant bird for a few days and cannot do anything with him I will usually try and get in tight on him in his preferred area and put a full strut decoy out and gobble at him every time he gobbles.

Most of the time he comes running in to whip the interloper....but it has to be a dominant bird in the experience or he will turn tail and run the other way.

I use a Primos Gobble tube...easiest to use and serves the purpose the few times I use it every season.
Phillippians 4:13

Deputy 14

I carry a cheap shake gobble call with me all the time but rarely ever use it, the only time it comes out is for a gobbler that's hung up out of sight by himself, and it usually upsets them enough for them to come running.

bigbird

I use a diaphram call to gobble, it's easy to do and one less thing to carry!

kevin2

well, I guess it is worth keeping in the vest then.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

surehuntsalot

I carry one,primos I think.
I sometime use it in the afternoon on a slow day,and I have also had it work several times on a hung up bird.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tnturkey

i carry one I tried the haint but not very good with it. I have a primos. and ive never called in a bird with it but every now and then I will use it to get a shock gobble.

TBab

Ive got a DND Haint. I have only used it as a locator. Ive never tried calling a bird with it. But on the other hand when they are tight lipped to a crow, owl, and coyote locator I have squeezed a few responses from those old hard headed birds.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

zeke632

In the early 80's I carried a Red Wolf shaker allways. It worked on hung up turkeys from time to time.  Turkeys would gobble at it, sometimes.  When the reed split I tried to fix it  & failed.  I just never replaced it.  Two years ago I watched my son gobble a good gobbler up & kill it after we had thrown everything we had at silent turkeys  we knew were around.  So  I bought a Haint and tried to learn to use it......for me it should be called The Ain't.  I hate that thing. Never learned how to use it. Gave it a toss in the river. If I want to gobble, I'll shake a box.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I do.  It's been the death of several hard nosed longbeards.

I think it is most effective on early season birds when the hierarchy is being established and on henned up birds in their core area.

DirtNap647