OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

9 year daughter turkey gun, ammo suggestions please.

Started by Rem Man, March 18, 2014, 04:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hello guys my 9 year old daughter is going hunting for the first time.I bought a rem 20 compact for her and put a bushnell trs 25 red dot on it ,I also added a truglo ssx choke.She is a smaller girl and shot good with field loads at 20 yds but the gun seemed a little long. I guess my question is should I put a tatical stock on it to shorthen it and have her shoot the  2 3/4 fed hw 7 or what do you guys with experience suggest? Thanks!
Does she need hw ammo or what field loads, and choke?

ClayW

My buddy's 9 yr old son shoots 6 shot Upland Bird loads and hasn't had any issues. He keeps his shots under 20 yards

turkeyhunter91

If she couldn't handle the gun very well, I would put a pistol grip stock on it, as far as ammo Im sure the 2 3/4 federal 7s would do great but If ypu couldnt find them you could try 2 3/4 lead loads, my step son killed his first turkey last spring with 2 3/4   6s, but I wouldnt let him shoot past real far. he was 7  hope this helps

BandedSpur

If she ends up shooting 2.75" lead, I would recommend a quality 1 oz target load (not a cheap dove load) with 7.5s. They will fill the pattern out much better than 6s and have the energy to kill turkeys to 35 yds (but probably not the pattern). See how far out she can keep 100/10 - that's her max range.

jakesdad

My boy,who is 7,shoots a Mossberg bantam 20 gauge with factory full choke.I put a tru-glo red dot on it and its made a tremendous difference in his shooting.He uses Winchester Super X, 2 3/4" 1 oz. # 7 1/2 and it patterns well to 25 yards.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Bigspurs68

My 2 girls both shoot a bantam 500 with a red dot. They are now 8 and 11 but started killing turkeys at 5 and 6. Both girls are small and usually shoot off of shooting sticks or the blind window, if we are in it. They have killed most of their birds with 3" nitro 7's. You may think it's too much for a small kid but they have never complained about recoil one time. When there is a bird in front of them and they pull the trigger, they don't feel a thing. I have asked them many times and they just grin and look back down at their bird. My 11 yr old has killed a couple with a 3" 12ga 11-87 also. Said she wanted to try it so I let her. Dead longbeards, happy girl. They practice with light loads and also with a 22 that has a red dot just to get used to shooting with those type of optics. Sure, it may not be the right choice for every kid but it works for my little turkey hunters. This input I offer isn't just from a couple turkeys either. These girls have been fortunate enough to pull the trigger on a bunch of birds for their age. I wish you both the best of luck and hope you have a safe fun spring.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Rem Man

Thanks for all the info guys!! I am glad she is interested, and that i have a hunting partner for life!!!

goblr77

2.75" Fed HW 7s through a full choke will give you a 30 yard combo. My daughter killed a bird last year with this when she was 7. She weighed only 55 lbs at the time. She's still shooting this load this year but I tightened the choke up a little when I mounted the Fastfire 3 on her gun. Let your daughter practice with 7/8 oz birdshot loads and she'll never know the difference when firing the Fed HW 2.75" at a bird. Going up to a 3" load will be a little rough.

beagler

My 8yrold daughter is shooting the Reduced Recoil MagBlends out of her Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug with good results. I put a Burris FF III and Hevi 13 Choke on it as well.

Never Misses

Dtrkyman