turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

lead shooters?

Started by blueridgegobbler, March 17, 2014, 08:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueridgegobbler

Active penetrators vs long beards which would you guys pick if active was still produced.

d.winsor

I use to shoot Active in 1992, killed a bird with two shot thru one eye.  Had shot lined up against the neck vertebrate, didn't do any damage at all, wasn't a long shot.  I quite using them and went with winchester supreme HV #5's, have used them ever since.  The active was suppose to be #5 but they were a little short on that.  I would use the longbeards #5, when I run out of supreme HV.  Winchester just makes a better shot shell.

BandedSpur

Shot a 3-2-6 Activ last week through a 26" SSBE with an Undertaker choke just for grins. The result wasn't even worth counting. It was a nice even pattern that completely covered the 4'x4' paper I was shooting. There was no center density at all. Those shells were the rage back in the day, and a lot of people killed a lot of turkeys with them. But there are much better alternatives available today. Activ did not use buffer, so a lot of the pellets got deformed badly and went all over the place. The LBs are far superior.

mightyjoeyoung

Neither.  Federal Premium Grand Slams in the old red and red/gold boxes.   :z-winnersmiley:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

blueridgegobbler

I always shot the grand slam 3 in 7 1/2 shot it was deadly I just bought a couple boxes of active 5 and 6

surehuntsalot

Activ any day of the week
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

They were nickel plated and a 12 ga 3" shell had 2 1/4 oz. of shot with I believe 4 drams of powder.
About the time Fiocchi bought them out along came a Federal Premium 3-2-6 that was my full choke barrel 870 turkey slayer.

If I was shooting targets at 40 right now I would have to go with the Win LB.

knightrider

MossRem

I bought some Activ shells back in the day, too. They kicked hard and didn't pattern well, so I never used any on an actual turkey hunt. With all the shells out on the market now, I wouldn't even consider Activ's. Seems like I gave the last of mine away to some friend who really really "had to have them".

FttFttVroom!