OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting a jake looked down upon?

Started by JuniorPre 360, March 17, 2014, 02:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniorPre 360

I've been doing a little asking around from some people scouting areas for turkeys and I guess they're seeing a lot of jakes and just a few big toms. I'm wondering if I'll catch HE11 if I were to post a picture of my first bird being a jake or if I should pass them all up if the opportune moment comes this season.

Skeeterbait

Those of us who have been at this a while tend to like to let the jakes walk for future years.  With that said, first bird, or even one taken late in the season when a longbeard hasn't been killed I am all for someone doing that.  It has to do with what YOU will be proud of and to he#% with what anyone else thinks.  You post your first bird and we are going to be happy for you.

duckaholic25

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 17, 2014, 02:33:16 PM
Those of us who have been at this a while tend to like to let the jakes walk for future years.  With that said, first bird, or even one taken late in the season when a longbeard hasn't been killed I am all for someone doing that.  It has to do with what YOU will be proud of and to he#% with what anyone else thinks.  You post your first bird and we are going to be happy for you.
X2

cuppednlocked

I agree with what Skeeter said.  It's a personal choice you decide when the opportunity presents itself.

The bottom line is... if you are happy it shouldn't matter what someone else thinks.  A trophy to one does not always equal a trophy to others.

jhcats10

My first was an ol shorty and i would hope no one would say a word about it being a jake and your first bird. I don't care if it's your 100th bird; if you feel like taking a jake... Have at it!!!

stinkpickle

If a jake gives a fun hunt, take him.

BigGobbler

I agree, shoot what you want the hack what others think. Them jakes can be just as tough to call and just as rewardable to take as a long beard. I hope turkey hunting does not get like the deer hunting has,everyone wants to pose a limit on the size you can shoot or they chastise you. I just wish there were more trophy hunters hunting where I hunt so there would be more meat for me.

jmasters

hookedspur

No sir no flack coming your way if you clobber a Jake . If that's what you want and he's legal I will congratulate you 
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gooserbat

Skeeter hit the nail on the head.  I'm personally not going to shoot one but to each there own.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Not from me, but you never know on a forum. OG is usually a good place for all , but lately there have been more negative Nancys than ever before. Hopefully it's just cabin fever.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jakesdad

I wouldnt do it,but I certainly don't or will not look down on anybody that shoots a jake;whether its their first bird or 50th bird.Its your tag,do what makes you happy!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

WyoHunter

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 17, 2014, 02:33:16 PM
My thoughts exactly Skeeter!    :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

olejake

What Skeeter said  x 3.. and  just like beauty..it  is in the eye of the beholder.. whatever makes you happy ..and is legal and sporting...

Jay Longhauser

The first turkey I called in and shot was a jake.  He made me shake against the tree with anticipation like he was the biggest turkey in the woods.  In the last few years I have taken both my brothers out for their first turkey. They each shot a jake first and were smiling from ear to ear at the experience.  I would pass on them today because I'm comfortable with the time I have to hunt that I'll be able to shoot a couple longbeards, and I know if I don't shoot him as a jake Ill have a chance to hunt him next year.  If I were starting over again I would start with bagging a legal turkey for the first one.  I bet you will have fun doing it and good luck this season.