OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol Grip Stocks

Started by Chris Downs, March 17, 2014, 09:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Downs

I've been wanting to try a pistol grip style stock on my gun(can't afford it right now), but wondered if there's really any true benefit to adding a pistol grip to your turkey guns.  I see alot of pics with this type set up and figured there must be something to it, but never had one on any of my guns.  What's the good word?  Are they worth it or not?
Thanks

MouthCaller

I currently have a pistol grip that I haven't hunted with yet but I used to have a thumb hole stock and also have owned a regular stock not sure what it is but the thumb hole and pistol grips are just more comfortable when holding your gun up for long periods of time along with a trigger stick I can hold my gun up for hours. You can get more comfort out of a trigger stick alone than changing the stock alone but I like having both. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

appalachianstruttstopper

I personally bought mine with a pistol grip style because the Mossberg tactical turkey had the ATI telescoping adjustable length of pull. The pistol grip seems to give a different feel, my finger goes through the trigger gaurd and I pull the trigger with the middle of my finger instead of the end.

Seems to me I have more stability with my pistol grip vs standard stock when I am sitting against a tree.

I would suggest picking up different types of pistol grip/thumbhole shotguns and see which type fits you best. I would not get a thumbhole that was not abidextrious because sometimes I shoot from my left shoulder when necessary.

ATI for a pump is about $150

Hope this helps.

Skeeterbait

The pistol grip gives you WAY more control of the gun both before and during the shot.
The pistol grip lets the hand absorb some of the recoil taking if off the shoulder.
No chance of the thumb knuckle blooding your nose with hi recoil shells due to short LOP or poor shoulder
     contact like on a far to the left shot.
You can use about an inch shorter LOP with a pistol grip making a more compact gun.
Better angle of pull on the trigger giving better trigger control.

Only disadvantage is it makes the gun more special purpose and is not suitable for a gun that is also to be a wingshooting gun.

Dallen92

I had shot normal stocks up until last year but after buying a pistol gripped stoeger i can honestly say that i will never go back as i feel like i have much more control of the gun.

drum817

I went with a new turkey gun this year that has a pistol grip stock, it took me a few shots to adjust to it, but after that I was rolling!!! I'm pretty much shooting 3" magnum turkey loads with one hand (just laying the for-end across the side of my left hand).  I will probably never go back to a traditional stock on a turkey gun!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Turkey Trot

The stocks with a grip tend to have more drop than a standard stock, and that may be a problem for you sighting the gun. 

The grip stock is less comfortable to carry on a sling than a standard stock.  The handle can poke you and hang on stuff.  I need to travel with one hand on it to keep it still.

I have not noticed better shooting versus the conventional stock.

This is a Steady Grip for a Rem 1187.

You'll basically have to try one to see for yourself.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

the Ward

Just got one for my vinci, haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. Drastically changed the feel of the gun and I'm not sure if I like it yet, but I can see the advantage if holding the gun up for awhile especially from a sitting position. The other posters have made some very good points,  maybe you could find a gun shop and try handling a few to see how they feel to you.

DirtNap647

love my thumbhole on my 835