turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sbe2

Started by highcj5, March 16, 2014, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highcj5

Just bought a sbe2 from dunn's. Need to buy a new choke. Already bought some xr's in 6, waiting to find some 5's. What choke would you suggest?  I had a jellyhead in my franchi 912 and liked it.
Oh by the way it has a 26 inch barrel and will be shooting 3 1/2's.      Thanks,    Jesse

2much2loud

Almost can't go wrong with a jellyhead... Mine did pretty good with the original xrs

M22

.650 call William at sumtoy. excellent in mine  :happy0064:

reynolds243

If your sticking with lead then kicks are hard to beat. I shoot a Rob Roberts 655 out of mine but with lead the 660 is prob a better option. My 655 shoots the longbeard 5 and 6 pretty sweet and really shoot the magblends well.

IMO kicks makes the best lead choke period.

highcj5

thanks for all the replies.  trying to find a choke that has a good even pattern.  would like to find one that puts a lot of shot in a 15" circle.  thanks again     

beagler

I shoot a Rhino (.660) in my SBE 2 with very good results.
Never Misses

PALongspur

Another vote for Rob Roberts. I'm shooting his Final Strut .650 in my SBE II. Every barrel will be different but that was the magic number with mine.

shotgun_oly

Quote from: beagler on March 17, 2014, 08:32:38 PM
I shoot a Rhino (.660) in my SBE 2 with very good results.

+1 on the Rhino .660 :icon_thumright: Always had solid results with this choke
Oly

bigbird

allaboutshooting

Quote from: highcj5 on March 16, 2014, 05:57:21 PM
Just bought a sbe2 from dunn's. Need to buy a new choke. Already bought some xr's in 6, waiting to find some 5's. What choke would you suggest?  I had a jellyhead in my franchi 912 and liked it.
Oh by the way it has a 26 inch barrel and will be shooting 3 1/2's.      Thanks,    Jesse

Hey Jesse,

Congratulations on your new Benelli. They are great guns and I think you also chose the perfect barrel length. As you know, that gun has a relatively tight bore compared to many others. I think you'll find those #6s pattern better than the #5s though that gun.

There are a few chokes that I've found to do well in my Benellis.When they are available, the Wright's #3 with a .650 e.d.  is an excellent choice, as is the JEB's .655 and the SSX .643.

As you know that gun has a chrome bore and can appear clean when in reality it's not. I'd recommend that you give it a good cleaning prior to taking it to the range. Those guns will seeming shoot forever no matter how dirty but at least my Bennellis pattern much better when they have clean bores.

Best of luck to you this spring with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

870FaceLift

+1 on the Rob Roberts choke.  I sent my SBE2 to them for pattern analysis and to have the forcing cone lengthened.  They had the shotgun back to me within a week and I cannot believe he difference.  The pattern is much more evenly distributed.  I had been using the Kick's and also a Hevi brand choke with decent results, but the RR choke easily tops them.  If you give them a call and tell them what load you're shooting, they will give you their recommendation. 
Pass it on...

highcj5

did you notice any difference in your gun after having the forcing cone worked on?  have thought about having that done maybe this summer.  want to wait till after spring gobbler

reynolds243

870 what choke construction you end up with?

01Foreman400

I shoot a Rhino .670.  Shot this pattern yesterday while checking my red dot. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

highcj5

foreman, how big of an area is that?  how far was the shot.  looks good.  was that thru a benelli?  thanks,  jesse