OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tru-choke threads

Started by tnanh, March 14, 2014, 03:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnanh

I was wondering what brand guns have tru-choke style threads? Sum-toy is tapping a H and R 20 gauge for me and is is being done in this style of choke threads. I may buy another name brand choke if I knew what tru-choke was.

Shellwaster

I'm sure Allaboutshooting will chime in and correct me where I'm misinformed. So until then,
George Trulock developed a screw in choke system and patented it. This is a unique thread design for those guns with a thin walled barrel. Many choke manufacturers are making chokes with this thread pattern now, you just have to ask. You can also check out the Trulock choke website to learn more and see what guns are factory threaded to accept the Tru-Choke.

Longshanks

Have a couple of barrels with tru choke threads. I Shoot Kicks, Hastings and Indian creek out of these barrels. 870 wingmasters.

appalachianstruttstopper

Tru choke threads are used by most gun smiths I know personally. The russian made Baikal, aka, Remington Spartan, is tapped in a true choke if I'm not mistaken, and Colonial Arms sells these chokes. Colonial Arms are the ones that made a few years of the Star Dot choke that  alot of people like to shoot.

I have a 20ga Baikal with colonial arms turkey choke and it shoots a mean pattern out to 35 yds. Brownells sells these and probably several more. Be a good place to look.

tnanh

I guess what I was asking is if i were to buy say a truglo or jellyhead for this gun would I look for one on the shelf that was for Remington, Mossberg, Benelli or Winchester since I don't know if the package would say "Tru choke."

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: tnanh on March 14, 2014, 07:37:15 PM
I guess what I was asking is if i were to buy say a truglo or jellyhead for this gun would I look for one on the shelf that was for Remington, Mossberg, Benelli or Winchester since I don't know if the package would say "Tru choke."

You may find somewhere that has tru choke on the shelf, but not likely. Usually these are available from several suppliers on a special order basis. These are not the majority, as I stated in earlier post, if Im not mistaken, Baikal from Russia, which later Remington aquired imports from, Remington Spartan, used tru choke. When searching from choke makers, they will be specified for tru choke. Some suppliers may be able to locate you a tru choke by the Baikal/Remington Spartan search.

Search the net for some of the choke makers and see how many offer tru choke. I know Colonial Arms does, and there are others as well, but all might not be available.

Do not get this confused with regular Rem choke by no means, the Remington Spartan was a Russian made Baikal with Remington name only. Tru choke is a specific size as is any other thread/o.d. choke. They are as different as mossberg is as to a benelli. Just to clarify.

Longshanks

Kicks, Indian Creek, Hastings are the chokes I had the best results with. Limited on companies that make these chokes. I shoot the colonial arms chokes in imp c, mod and full but the turkey chokes wouldn't hold a candle to the Kicks and Indian creek. The Hastings non ported is bad to the bone with HW 7's.

jordanz7935

Im in the middle of a tru-choke project for a 20 ga baikal myself. Ive been doing a lot of research on those 20 ga tru chokes. Ive found 20 ga tru choke turkey chokes from kicks,pure gold, sumtoy, carlsons, trulock, and colonial arms. Appalachinstruttstopper, have you patterned the colonial .570 with Fed HW 7s @ 40yds? I planned on getting the colonial myself but if it doesnt work with those shells i'll get something else. It's the cheapest extended turkey choke for the 20 ga tru choke that i have found, $22 @ brownells. Hastings only has flush fit tubes for the 20 ga. All in all id probably have best luck with a sumtoy but my baikal will be for youngsters and a backup for me. Im afraid the sumtoy will have too tight of a pattern for kids. Now im leaning towards the trulock or carlsons. Any thoughts?

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 14, 2014, 10:25:13 PM
Im in the middle of a tru-choke project for a 20 ga baikal myself. Ive been doing a lot of research on those 20 ga tru chokes. Ive found 20 ga tru choke turkey chokes from kicks,pure gold, sumtoy, carlsons, trulock, and colonial arms. Appalachinstruttstopper, have you patterned the colonial .570 with Fed HW 7s @ 40yds? I planned on getting the colonial myself but if it doesnt work with those shells i'll get something else. It's the cheapest extended turkey choke for the 20 ga tru choke that i have found, $22 @ brownells. Hastings only has flush fit tubes for the 20 ga. All in all id probably have best luck with a sumtoy but my baikal will be for youngsters and a backup for me. Im afraid the sumtoy will have too tight of a pattern for kids. Now im leaning towards the trulock or carlsons. Any thoughts?

I shoot federal premium 20ga 1 5/16 #6's in mine and it does a great job with both the pre flight control wad and flight control wad. I personally wouldn't hesitate a moment at shooting a Tom with mine @ 40yds. I have never shot a fed hw, so not sure what to tell you. But for #6 lead it is sufficient for me.

SumToy

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 14, 2014, 10:25:13 PM

We can put a big/more open choke in it.  We have them all the way to duck chokes. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

tnanh

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all taught me a lot.

deadbuck

I am more confused now than before. Wish I had not read that.