turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy movement

Started by renegade19, March 14, 2011, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade19

I'll be field hunting for the first time during the upcoming youth season.  How much movement is good for the decoys and how much is too much.  I know a little is a lot in most cases.  Thanks for the input.

stinkpickle

Some movement is fine, but it drives me nuts when they start spinning in the wind.  I usually shove two sticks in the ground near the tail (hen decoy), to limit its travel.

njdevilsb

A little bit is good, but I agree with stink on the spinning.  If you have a day where the wind isn't blowing at all, don't worry.  I've had quite a few birds come in without any movement at all.

renegade19

Sticks is a good idea.  I've got a strutting jake I made that will spin like a top w/ too much wind.  He looks amazing with just a little breeze though.  Thanks for the tips.

jwhunter

just like what other have said. i alwayse use sticks to anchor them down. the only movement i use is in the gobbler fan. i will losen the tail clamp a little bit so if the wind blows it. it will move a little. but the worst thing is having high winds and your decoy  spins like beetle juices head!!! that will stink up your hunt real fast!!!!
;)

spurman

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 14, 2011, 01:56:28 PM
Some movement is fine, but it drives me nuts when they start spinning in the wind.  I usually shove two sticks in the ground near the tail (hen decoy), to limit its travel.

Yep, :icon_thumright:, thats the way I do it.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

jv

Same here........sticks
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.

handcannon

Dont sweat the small stuff. If its blowing hard do like they said and anchor it. If it's just a good breeze, enjoy the show. Just go out and have fun. Best of luck to you with your first bird!

bowhunter84

Quote from: handcannon on March 15, 2011, 12:09:11 AM
Dont sweat the small stuff. If its blowing hard do like they said and anchor it. If it's just a good breeze, enjoy the show. Just go out and have fun. Best of luck to you with your first bird!
:agreed:

Hootowl

Movement is what Turkey see, Thats how we get busted Movement? Darn good Idea with the sticks, Thanks for the tip, I do like some Movement.

Hoot

lightsoutcalls

I once tried the 2 dimensional Montana decoys... once.  With a 4-5 mph wind, I think you could have generated electricity with the spinning going on...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!