OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bagged my first Osceola

Started by totallycluckedup, March 14, 2011, 12:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

totallycluckedup

busta biggun

gatrapper

Heck ya! WTG :you_rock:

Lets hear the story
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

totallycluckedup

Drew a quota that I had been trying to get for three to four years.  They only hand out 5 permits and you only get five days (mornings actually) to hunt.  Got him on the 4th day.  The first three days, they were completely henned up, no gobblin'... nothing.  On the 4th morning, I got a late start.  It was already daylight when I was walking out to my spot.  Before I got there, I heard some gobbles out in a field I was close to.  I stopped in my tracks, let out a few yelps and it was on.  Two gobblers came straight in, and in a hurry.  I had zero time to get situated... just dropped to my knees off the side of the trail.  The direction they came from, put them right in front of me... about no more than 12' in front of me.  It was extremely exciting to see them that close.  The second in line was doing the strutting and got to hear him drum. (which was a first for me).  I took him with a Stoeger M2000 with a Burris red dot.  ( That stick belongs to my old man... already told him goodluck on getting it back... hahahaha)

paboxcall

Wow -- that's a good bird!

WoHoo!

:wav:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

magicman

Good deal. It sounds like it was a great hunt. Good looking bird. :z-guntootsmiley: :icon_thumright:

OLE RASPY

Congrads on first osceola.What"s the stats.

Reloader

Stoner

Sounds like you did everything right, I hope it is the first of many to come.

Crutch

Thats great, thanks for sharing and the story.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

chcltlabz

CONGRATS on a great looking Osceola.  Still waiting on my first myself, but I hope he's got half the rope yours did.

Congrats again on a fine bird.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Basser69

totallycluckedup

thanks for the compliments... I got my first turkey ever last year with my dad up in Tennessee.  That was an awesome experience for us to do that together.  This one is my second and first osceola... called him in myself, so it felt like a good accomplishment.  He's 17.5 lbs.  The beard from tip to tip as it sits (I didn't pull it) was 10.5".  He had one spur that was 1" and the other was 7/8".  Best I could tell was he was a 2 year old.  It's been an awesome year.  I just got into hunting about 4 years ago.  I finally got my first turkey last spring, shot my first deer this last fall (8pt buck with my bow) and now my first osceola that I called in myself... this turkey hunting is super addicting.  I was more excited over these two turkeys than I was my buck.  Only problem is my dad probably won't let me have the first shot this year when I go up to Tenn... hahaha

guesswho

Congrats on you first Osceola.   I hope he's the first of many.  He's got a nice thick beard on him :icon_thumright:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

allchokedup

Quote from: totallycluckedup on March 14, 2011, 01:00:44 PM
Drew a quota that I had been trying to get for three to four years.  They only hand out 5 permits and you only get five days (mornings actually) to hunt.  Got him on the 4th day.  The first three days, they were completely henned up, no gobblin'... nothing.  On the 4th morning, I got a late start.  It was already daylight when I was walking out to my spot.  Before I got there, I heard some gobbles out in a field I was close to.  I stopped in my tracks, let out a few yelps and it was on.  Two gobblers came straight in, and in a hurry.  I had zero time to get situated... just dropped to my knees off the side of the trail.  The direction they came from, put them right in front of me... about no more than 12' in front of me.  It was extremely exciting to see them that close.  The second in line was doing the strutting and got to hear him drum. (which was a first for me).  I took him with a Stoeger M2000 with a Burris red dot.  ( That stick belongs to my old man... already told him goodluck on getting it back... hahahaha)

You did good Son. I think that shotgun belongs to you now. I'm a proud Daddy :icon_thumright: