turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Longbeards up close?

Started by Ky Gobbler, March 13, 2014, 11:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky Gobbler

Just wondering if anyone has tried the longbeards  at around 10-20 yards to see if the pattern is too tight? I shot them at 40 and was impressed but I only had a couple targets so I didn't test any closer. I'm wondering this because my first two turkeys were under ten yards out due to very short distance of visibility, but haven't let any others get that close.

davisd9

The first couple of 20 yard patterns posted very overly tight in my opinion.  Some others have been posted since that were 7-8" wide and that is not bad to hunt with at all.  It is good to know that you are taking in all scenarios because not all turkeys stand straight up and still at 40 yards.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

darn2ten

Check out the pattern section. I've got a 20 and 40 yd. posted. Drum817 has got some posted and I think there are a few others.

jakesdad

I shot some(3" #6's) out of my 870 with a .655 ventilator and got about a fist sized pattern at 20 yds.That was enough to convince me that Longbeards were not for me.Ill stick with the grey box winchesters and turkey thugs,which are tight up close,but no where near that tight.

On the other hand let me say I was very impressed with the numbers they put up at 40 yds.With the same gun I was getting 180s-190s in a 10" circle which is the best i've ever gotten with any lead load by far.They are a very very good shell if you are in need of a tight shooting pattern.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Ky Gobbler

Quote from: drum817 on March 13, 2014, 01:50:58 PM
Here ya go...  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,42216.0.html

Thanks, I thought I had already looked through this post but the close range shots pics must have just slipped by me. That's a very good pattern

Cutt

Don't shoot the Longbeards, but have done a lot of reading and viewing patterns, and have considered changing. My opinion,  the tightness of the Longbeard patterns up close from what I've seen is over exaggerated by many? Just looking at these patterns, looks no different up close than what I get with my Hevi-13.
Common sense would say if you want good patterns in the 10 circle at 40, it has to be tight at 10-20 yards? It would be great if they had a load that opened some at 10-20 yards and closed back up at 40, my point is, your not going to get both.

darn2ten

Quote from: Cutt on March 16, 2014, 12:45:45 PM
Don't shoot the Longbeards, but have done a lot of reading and viewing patterns, and have considered changing. My opinion,  the tightness of the Longbeard patterns up close from what I've seen is over exaggerated by many? Just looking at these patterns, looks no different up close than what I get with my Hevi-13.
Common sense would say if you want good patterns in the 10 circle at 40, it has to be tight at 10-20 yards? It would be great if they had a load that opened some at 10-20 yards and closed back up at 40, my point is, your not going to get both.
:agreed:   :z-winnersmiley:

Longshanks

The patterns seem to be close to my HTL patterns as well. Shooting the Win 6's LB's I am shooting the entire pattern in a 8" circle @ 20. The patterns only seem extremely tight if you are going from regular lead loads to Win LB's in my opinion. Guys turning tight patterns with HTL seem to be used to the tight close patterns.

reflexl

One reason I love my 835 with the .676 Stardot so much is that there is a corona of shot around the center mass even at 10 yards. The 3.5-2-6 LBs out of the 835 set up shot about a 7" usable pattern at 15 yards which is as much as you can expect from any gun and load. The same load from a dirty barrel put 195 in the 10" at 40 yards. reflexl

3" 870 Shell Shucker

You can open your choke up to .040 of constriction, which is a standard Extra Full.  The pattern will be bigger up close, but will still be a nice even, dense pattern at 30 Yards, and then it will still be good enough at 35 Yards; using any number of different turkey loads.  The problem is people always insisting on 40 Yards.  35 Yard rigs are easy to come by.  It's those extra 5 Yards.....

Old Gobbler

Shoot at the base of the neck and missing problems up close will significantly decrease.
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

DirtNap647

Quote from: Cutt on March 16, 2014, 12:45:45 PM
x2