turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you clean your turkey?

Started by NC_10, March 13, 2014, 10:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC_10

Just curious on your method of cleaning your trophy gobbler. Do you simply breast them out with the legs also, or do you pluck and singe or maybe even boil the complete bird ?

Dan Mallia

I debone em (breast, legs, thighs) and dad plucks em like a Foster Farms turkey  :funnyturkey:

bamagtrdude

I've always breasted mine out, after cutting off the beard, legs, and tail fan.  Never even fooled with the legs.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Spring Creek Calls

I skin them back to get the breast, legs and thighs. I will pluck one on occasion to deep fry. Breasts get the Jamaican jerk recipe and legs and thighs in the crock pot for bbq or turkey salad.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

stinkpickle

I usually skin and slice out the breast and remove the legs/thighs.  I don't mess with plucking and gutting anymore.

trackerbucky

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 13, 2014, 01:16:34 PM
I usually skin and slice out the breast and remove the legs/thighs.  I don't mess with plucking and gutting anymore.

+1.  So much quicker and you still get 95% of the meat.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

Gamblinman

Just filet the breast right off the bone. Bust the thigh and legs off and boil for the cats and dogs.

The rest...buzzards gotta eat too

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

JuniorPre 360

Anyone know of an instructional video or website that shows how to do all this? If by some miracle I kill one this year, I'd like to keep the fan and beard.   :cowboy:

honker22

Keeping the fan and beard, is no issue when cleaning a bird.  My preferred method of taking the beard off, is tightly gripping it close to where it attaches and firmly jerking it out (no jokes please).  No meat to rot on the end of the beard, and it comes out intact... took me many years of cutting beards off, before someone showed me that trick.

For saving the fan, just begin cutting from the backside, just above is cloaca (craphole), and skin him back towards the body until your far enough down to cut it off.  Shave the excess meat, put borax or salt on the exposed skin/meat and then pin him to some carboard with the fan fully open.  You may can find a video, but I promise it's not very hard at all.  I save most of my fans.  I just leave them up in the attic drying for a few weeks before I will put them on display.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

BigGobbler

I cut the beard,spurs and tail off leaving some meat on them and salt them down good. I only bone out the breast meat the rest is not worth messing with there is nothing but muscles and bone on the legs on the Florida birds.

tomstopper

^^^This

CrustyRusty

I usually just give it to my wife or one of my kids, that's how I clean my turkeys. :TooFunny:

Quote from: NC_10 on March 13, 2014, 10:58:30 AM
Just curious on your method of cleaning your trophy gobbler. Do you simply breast them out with the legs also, or do you pluck and singe or maybe even boil the complete bird ?

Crappiepro

That's how I do mine. I like to soak the breast strips in Dale's Marinate(Low Sodium) and then grill them slow. Legs and thighs go in a boiling bag/oven cooked with spices and vegi's.

Gooserbat

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 13, 2014, 01:01:56 PM
I've always breasted mine out, after cutting off the beard, legs, and tail fan.  Never even fooled with the legs.

THIS^^^
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tnturkey

cut the beard off, cut the legs off, and the fan. then I just breast them.