Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Should this video make me upset for turkey hunting? Mojo Scoot and Shoot.

Started by JuniorPre 360, March 12, 2014, 10:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Quote from: jwhunter on March 13, 2014, 11:28:51 AM
There is nothing wrong with what they are doing.

Maybe it is time that more stood up and declared that yes there is something wrong with what they are doing.  I have gotten a number of clients off of criminal charges because their actions were not technically illegal, but I sure wouldn't want to break bread with them.

There, I have made my annual anti-decoy rant and I will shut up and go to hunting them as I was taught.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Holston

Sadly I can see that thing really catching on in my area.

Stuff like this is why I'm way behind the curve when it comes to turkey hunting.  I've never really been able to find anyone who actually likes/wants to 'hunt' turkeys.  Most would rather shoot them off the limb before daylight, shoot em with a rifle hundreds of yards away, or try some dumb thing like that in the video.

I feel like it's taking me longer than it should, learning stuff on my own.

Edit to add:
This is more about the killing rather than hunting mentality, than the video posted.  I guess seeing something like that reminded me of many I know.

tnturkey

junk someone will get shot using this hopefully just not killed. nothing ethical about it, no sport in it. makes me mad just watching it.

the Ward

Hopefully all that crawling around has left them unable to reproduce.

GobbleNut

To me, I think the bigger issue here is not so much about the video, or the method, or how ethical it is. It is more about whether it should be a legal method of killing turkeys.  If this method of hunting became commonplace,...which I have no doubt it will for a lot of folks,...how much of an impact will it have on gobbler numbers?  Is it possible to kill so many gobblers out of a population doing something like this that we have to regulate against it?  Will gobblers learn to avoid other gobblers after a few years of hunters doing this?  Who knows for sure?

Again, to me, this is just the next step beyond fanning, which is the next step beyond using a strutting gobbler decoy to attract gobblers.  Do we outlaw each of those methods, too, because someone figured out that this would work so well?

Ultimately, there are some hard choices we are going to have to make as turkey hunters.  Are we going to have to go back to regulations that prohibit the use of decoys at all, or any kind of "attractant" that provides a visual stimulus to make turkeys approach? 

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know that we are very quickly getting away from the allure of spring gobbler hunting that attracted many of us older guys to the sport in the beginning,...that is learning to make turkey sounds that would make gobblers come to the call.  But, then again, who is to say that the calling of turkeys is the only way it should be done?

As I said, we, as turkey hunters, are going to have to make some hard choices about all of it.

the Ward

I wonder if this "crew" has thought of using a slab of bacon wrapped around their heads and try bear hunting like that. Guaranteed u-tube video stardom.... :icon_thumright:

ericjames

Quote from: the Ward on March 13, 2014, 06:17:14 PM
I wonder if this "crew" has thought of using a slab of bacon wrapped around their heads and try bear hunting like that. Guaranteed u-tube video stardom.... :icon_thumright:

LMBO! I would watch that!

Spring_Woods

You don't have to be an older guy or seasoned veteran to see that this is not turkey hunting.

Last year a friend and I battled a mid morning, stubborn bird and took the fight to him. We belly crawled to him. (Private land) Strangely enough to some, we didn't need a turkey fan to get into range, we used the terrain. Look, I'm not bragging but I'm just saying there are lots of other ways to get your kicks of getting close CLOSE is your thing.

I believe I've already posted my thoughts about this in another thread similar to this one.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

timberchicken

I will probably never own one but you have to admit that it would be intense to have a gobbler do the 100 yard dash with the finish line attached to your arm.  That being said the guys on the video probably do no represent our sport in the best light.

turkeyfoot

That is not hunting to me I believe in woodsmanship and thats not it no respect for the magnificent bird when just shooting that way. Also in Va. they better not be doing that  rifles are legal in spring and you will take a chance on loosing your life roaming around like that even on private ground that would not be safe plenty of people cross posted signs every year to a gabble and shoot a bird 100 plus yards.

datrip

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 13, 2014, 06:05:54 PM
To me, I think the bigger issue here is not so much about the video, or the method, or how ethical it is. It is more about whether it should be a legal method of killing turkeys.  If this method of hunting became commonplace,...which I have no doubt it will for a lot of folks,...how much of an impact will it have on gobbler numbers?  Is it possible to kill so many gobblers out of a population doing something like this that we have to regulate against it?  Will gobblers learn to avoid other gobblers after a few years of hunters doing this?  Who knows for sure?

Again, to me, this is just the next step beyond fanning, which is the next step beyond using a strutting gobbler decoy to attract gobblers.  Do we outlaw each of those methods, too, because someone figured out that this would work so well?

Ultimately, there are some hard choices we are going to have to make as turkey hunters.  Are we going to have to go back to regulations that prohibit the use of decoys at all, or any kind of "attractant" that provides a visual stimulus to make turkeys approach? 

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know that we are very quickly getting away from the allure of spring gobbler hunting that attracted many of us older guys to the sport in the beginning,...that is learning to make turkey sounds that would make gobblers come to the call.  But, then again, who is to say that the calling of turkeys is the only way it should be done?

As I said, we, as turkey hunters, are going to have to make some hard choices about all of it.

x2 ^^^^^
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

appalachianstruttstopper

Where I live I wouldn't do this in my front yard! We have poachers around here that carry rifles and scope the woods to the sound of a hen call, and I personally know a couple of guys who bought 10ga bps's for the sole purpose of sneaking over ridge tops, standing up and shooting the first red or white head they see. I would hate to think I was tucked in under one of these when a 3.5 oz load of shot was buzzing at me at 1200fps!

No offence to anyone here using a 10ga, but these guys told me that was the purpose behind it, to kill them @ 55 and 60yds.

TalksToTurkeys

I'm getting one of these and giving it to a co-worker to use.
I don't hunt with him but I help him out as much as I can.      :anim_25:

Pressured Gobbler

First off all... These clowns are  "shooting"  Turkey's on private Land on a turkey shooters play ground... These jackwagons couldn't pull this Bs on heavily hunted pressured wiery gobblers... So I pretty much say if your killing in pressured easy gobblers like this YOUR NOT A TURKEY HUNTER!!!!  Quit calling your self one please because your giving us a bad name

ridgerunner

Ignorance is all I can say. That's the stuff that makes us hunters look stupid in non-hunting circles.. Besides that young kids see ignorance like this and end up getting shot. Very irresponsible , not to mention the throwing gun, disrespecting wildlife etc., and acting like fools.

What's next putting a whitetail deer rack on your head in deer season and running around the woods..?