turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

modified choke and longbeard xr?

Started by Teebugg, March 11, 2014, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bawana

Back in the mid 80's I started out with an H&R Partner 12ga with a full choke. I was comfortable out to about 35 yards. I used both Winchester and Federal #6's in 3 inch shells. That H&R will rattle you shooting 3 in turkey loads  :o :o

Teebugg

It definitley has some kick to it with a 3"! Im putting a recoil pad on it before this turkey season!

d.winsor

I just patterned my SX3 wtith .665 Briley rifled with supreme HV and LB #5's.  40 yards the longbeareds are too tight for me to hunt.  the supreme shells are a little more open than LB, I will use the supreme shells.  Yes the long beard will tighten your patter out of that gun.  If you are already shooting 30 yards, you will probably make 40 yards.  You will have to shoot to see.  I also had a .655 factory choke I was going to try, but the .665 was so tight I didn't try it.

Teebugg

Im thinking ill just pick up a box of lb and turkey thugs. Hear good things about both so might as well give them a try.

Birdyblaster

I believe Hornady makes a shell that was designed to throw tighter patterns with more open chokes.  I don't have any experience with them but they might be worth a look.

CrustyRusty

Try the different shot sizes.  I know it will be costly, but different shot sizes may react different with different constriction and you may be able to fine tune that way.  Good luck.

THattaway

Quote from: Teebugg on March 12, 2014, 10:40:48 AM
Im thinking ill just pick up a box of lb and turkey thugs. Hear good things about both so might as well give them a try.
Interesting topic and one I've been pursuing myself. I plan to test the LB 3" 5s I have through some stock chokes in an 870 next week.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

knightrider

i think you will be surprised at the pattern you will get if us the lb #4 or #5 out of that combo good luck

20ga.turkeyshooter

I killed a gobbler with a modified choke in my Remington 870 20 gauge at 40 yards with cheap Remington 3 inch magnum 4 shot loads not nearly the best pattern but hey it got the job done

nickp

I believe the LB 4's will do wonders and get you to 40 for sure.  They definitely worked out of my 870 30" full barrel. 

Beavercastor

I did not read through all of the posts, so if this may have already been mentioned but if you are working with a modified choke you might want to look at the hornady turkey loads. They are made for improved and modified chokes. Never shot them but have a friend that uses them with a fixed mod. He killed three birds within 40 yards with them last season

Teebugg

Grabbed a box of #6 longbeards and some kent ultimate diamond. Always wanted to try them so figured why not. Plan to keep my shots at 30 or less. Will hopefully post some good pattern pics this weekend!

albrubacker

I haven't tried it yet, but I want try to kill one with my Ithaca 37 16 ga with a fixed Mod.

(Sorry missed the LB part. Don't think they are making those in 16 ga.)
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Teebugg

Ive killed turkeys with this gun, but using the winchester supremes. Hoping the longbeards tighten the pattern up amd maybe give me a little more distance. That being said i dont normally shoot past 20-25 yards. Just my comfort zone and i love to get em in close :)

owlhoot

Quote from: Birdyblaster on March 12, 2014, 12:16:43 PM
I believe Hornady makes a shell that was designed to throw tighter patterns with more open chokes.  I don't have any experience with them but they might be worth a look.

If you want to throw money away get some ,  you might be the first to get a decent pattern, many have failed miserably, just a little FYI.