News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

modified choke and longbeard xr?

Started by Teebugg, March 11, 2014, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teebugg

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

MouthCaller

Quote from: Teebugg on March 11, 2014, 08:29:33 PM
Anybody using this combo?
No disrespect or sarcasm but are you kidding or is this a serious question?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

The only way I would ever use a modified choke for turkeys would be if I decided to hunt them "old school" with my 1959 vintage  2 3/4 inch chambered Winchester Model 12 12 ga. It has a 28" barrel with a FIXED choke. I would test a number of different loads and then pick the one that throws the best patterns. Even then I would limit my shots to no more than about 30 yards.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Teebugg

Quote from: MouthCaller on March 11, 2014, 08:38:42 PM
Quote from: Teebugg on March 11, 2014, 08:29:33 PM
Anybody using this combo?
No disrespect or sarcasm but are you kidding or is this a serious question?

Its a serious question. I was just wondering if anyone had used a modified choke and lb xr. Thats my choke and the shells im thinking of shooting.

MouthCaller

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll find anyone shooting a modified at turkeys unless you see a special circumstance like the previously mentioned. Most everybody here shoots after market chokes or at least a factory turkey choke.

Teebugg

Well my h&r is modifed from the factory. Im just curious if anyone shoots this combo and what knd of results they have gotten. I understand that most shoot factory or aftermarket chokes, unfortunately im not able to change my choke.

MouthCaller

Ok gotcha well my curiosity is peaked on the matter now I wouldn't care to see what an effective kill range would be with that set up.

Skeeterbait

I suspect it will give even patterns but not the tightest which means you will have to limit your shot distance.  I would suggest testing it at 25, 30 35 yards and when you no longer can put at least 100 shot in a 10 inch circle then limit your shot distance to less than that range.  If your willing to spend the money then also try the Federal Heavyweight #7 in the flight control wads.  The flight control is designed to be used with more open and even fixed choke guns.  The smaller but heavier shot will help keep the pattern density up at longer range.  it can be done with a modified choke but you really need to test and know what the gun and shell is capable of.

Teebugg

Well i know a modified isnt a largely constricted choke, and figured the lb xr might tighten the pattern up a bit. Tried some flite controls and that was a disaster. Heck the flite control shot better out of my 870 cylinder bore at 25 yards than the modified h&r. Hoping someone may chime in, or ill just bite the bullet and get a box.

Skeeterbait

Sorry to hear the flight control didn't work.  Every gun is different and you just don't know till you test it.

Teebugg

Biggest thing is i see all the hype about the longbeards. I used to shoot winchester supreme 3" out of this gun and have killed a few turkeys with that combo. Couple around 30-35 yards. I tend to limit myself to that range anyways but if anything can improve my pattern or distance, im all for it. Maybe i should just live by " if it aint broke dont fix it"

sonofabuck

Just a suggestion, but if you also have an 870 why not sell the H&R and buy a new barrel with rem choke for the 870.  That way you'd have one of the best multi purpose shotguns out there.  Again, only a suggestion.  :anim_25: :anim_25:

Teebugg

I have thought about that lol. But my 870 is my deer gun/home defense. And its older than i am. Family gun passed onto me and i havent changed a thing besides refinishing the wood.

sonofabuck

Quote from: Teebugg on March 11, 2014, 09:59:30 PM
I have thought about that lol. But my 870 is my deer gun/home defense. And its older than i am. Family gun passed onto me and i havent changed a thing besides refinishing the wood.
I completely understand. But, It would still be the same gun. With a new barrel you could still use it for deer, home defense, ducks, squirrel, rabbits, clays, hogs, geese, doves, zombies, and TURKEY!  My 870 has served me in all of those endeavors.....except the zombie part. LOL.
Good luck with whatever you decide. If you shoot some longbeards with that modified put up some pictures. Might be surprising.