OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Hevi Convert

Started by BrowningGuy88, March 14, 2011, 10:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

Well first off, I hate all of you!!!!!!! I have been perfectly happy shooting lead for the last 16 years. Well my grandfather started on blood thinners and can't shoot the 12 gauges anymore so I swapped main turkey guns with him yesterday. I swapped my 870 20 gauge out for his NWTF Laminate Winchester 1300. I only had 2 3/4" turkey shells for the Model 12, so I swung by the store thinking I would grab some 3" #6's and be good. No luck, sold out of everything turkey related.

So I shot the 2 3/4" shells to see what it would do --- not happening, numbers and density was horrible. To make a long story short, I ordered 2 boxes of Hevi 3-2-7 from Cabelas this morning.

I will shoot the Model 12 until they come in, but it ain't going in some of the places I turkey hunt so as soon as they do come in I will be switching between it and the 1300.

The 1300 has a Truglo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke that is Hevi approved. I am going to run it this season anyway and will try an IC or PG in the summer.

Why did you guys have to do this to me? I mean $18.99 for 5 shells???

I really hate you guys.

Daman

BigPeck215

welcome to the hevi club, the $5 rebate on the hevi shot website should make your wallet feel a lot better

archery1

yeah u can get up to 20 bucks back on 4 boxes. so its only 14 a box. u will be amazed on the patterns for sure!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

ghillie

REBATES....and you wont look back....you will love em!!!    :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

bowhunter84

Quote from: ghillie on March 14, 2011, 11:46:11 AM
REBATES....and you wont look back....you will love em!!!    :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
:agreed:

paboxcall

Speaking with slicky, I ended up switching to a JH .660 for my Winchester 1300.  I have a 21" barrel by the way.

Ended up with 274 in a twice lasered, with different finders, 40 yards.

Good luck with your new set up.  H13 is definitely the way to go.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

BrowningGuy88

Oh no Spuriosity, you didn't MAKE me so to speak, but before this darn site and all you bragging on Hevi I would have just ordered normal turkey shells.

I will get the rebates by the way and thanks, didn't know about them.

I hope the .665 shoots decent, but I think at $4 a BOOM I will give a PG a try just to see what it will do. My main hope is that it shoots to POA with the truglo gobble dot sights. If not I will have to get the adjustable ones. Lead shoots POA with the sights that are on the gun now. I hope to get at least 200 in 10" at 40 and 140 in 10" at 50.

Daman

hookedspur

Quote from: ghillie on March 14, 2011, 11:46:11 AM
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

VAHUNTER

after your first pattern with the H13 and right choke combo you will never look back !!!!!!
Good things come to those who wait

chatterbox

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 14, 2011, 02:01:13 PM
after your first pattern with the H13 and right choke combo you will never look back !!!!!!
:agreed: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

BrowningGuy88

I do have one question for you guys.

How is the killing power of HEVI compared to other heavy weight shot? I ain't buying anymore this season, but would like to know. Also, is there a certain yardage where even if pattern holds up - killing power is too little?

Daman

bbcoach

Daman,
Once you go HEVI, she'll always be your STEADY!!!!

With the right choke, #7 Hevi's will kill well past what you are use to with lead.

Gobble!

This is the most expensive free site!

TnTurk

Quote from: Daman on March 14, 2011, 01:24:41 PM
Oh no Spuriosity, you didn't MAKE me so to speak, but before this darn site and all you bragging on Hevi I would have just ordered normal turkey shells.

I will get the rebates by the way and thanks, didn't know about them.

I hope the .665 shoots decent, but I think at $4 a BOOM I will give a PG a try just to see what it will do. My main hope is that it shoots to POA with the truglo gobble dot sights. If not I will have to get the adjustable ones. Lead shoots POA with the sights that are on the gun now. I hope to get at least 200 in 10" at 40 and 140 in 10" at 50.

Daman
Just to give you a little insight on what a PG .670 choke will do out of a 1300 with a 22 inch barrell shooting Hevi 3-2-7. I got 218 in a 10 inch and 438 in a 20 inch circle at 40 yards. Hevi shot rocks.  :you_rock:

mossy835

Daman how can you say that? It has happened to almost all of us here one way or the other. The HM loads are devastating to say the least so you wont be sorry, and you can play with lead until you are worn out. Now have you looked at the Custom calls available here from some great makers of pot calls, long and short box calls, scratch boxes, well you get the idea. Enjoy and have a good time.