turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi Shot choke

Started by allchokedup, March 14, 2011, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allchokedup

I have a new SuperNova and trying to decide on a choke. I have I/C on 3 other shotguns but, I thought I might try something different this time.  I have an extra ssx choke  ,but when I tried to install it , I found that it was real tight going into the barrel and don't want to force it.. think it might have swelled a little from shooting. I have looked at the Hevi Shot choke and they sell real reasonable. The constriction for the SuperNova seems a little tight (.656) I shoot mainly Hevi 13 #6 2 oz in my 12 gauge.
Anybody shooting the Hevi choke? (not sure if I should change from a good thing)
Thanks

hookedspur

If it aint broke ---well you know the rest  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

VAHUNTER

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 14, 2011, 10:36:37 AM
Quote from: allchokedup on March 14, 2011, 10:23:52 AM
I have a new SuperNova and trying to decide on a choke. I have I/C on 3 other shotguns but, I thought I might try something different this time.  I have an extra ssx choke  ,but when I tried to install it , I found that it was real tight going into the barrel and don't want to force it.. think it might have swelled a little from shooting. I have looked at the Hevi Shot choke and they sell real reasonable. The constriction for the SuperNova seems a little tight (.656) I shoot mainly Hevi 13 #6 2 oz in my 12 gauge.
Anybody shooting the Hevi choke? (not sure if I should change from a good thing)
Thanks

I personally am not a fan of the Hevishot Chokes, just because they don't show the performance of other after market chokes. I personally would go with a Jelly Head .655 to start with, or a pure gold in a .660. Those two should really rock with the Hevi #6s in 2 oz (infact, I set up a good friend with a JH .655 in his Nova, last year shooting the 3-2-6 H13 load, and he was putting well over 200 in a 10" circle at 40 yds).

.655 or .656 isn't too tight for the Benelli guns, simply because they are underbored, and it takes a tighter exit diameter choke, to get the same constriction, as say an 870. For example, the standard bore of a 12ga gun, is .729, which is what the bore of a Rem 870 is. An underbored Benelli, has a bore dia of .723.

Rem 870 - .729" Bore Dia - .069" Constriction = .660" Exit Diameter
Benelli - .723" Bore Dia - .068" Constriction = .655" Exit Diameter
agreed  :icon_thumright: very well explained
Good things come to those who wait

allchokedup

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 14, 2011, 10:36:37 AM
Thanks

I personally am not a fan of the Hevishot Chokes, just because they don't show the performance of other after market chokes. I personally would go with a Jelly Head .655 to start with, or a pure gold in a .660. Those two should really rock with the Hevi #6s in 2 oz (infact, I set up a good friend with a JH .655 in his Nova, last year shooting the 3-2-6 H13 load, and he was putting well over 200 in a 10" circle at 40 yds).

.655 or .656 isn't too tight for the Benelli guns, simply because they are underbored, and it takes a tighter exit diameter choke, to get the same constriction, as say an 870. For example, the standard bore of a 12ga gun, is .729, which is what the bore of a Rem 870 is. An underbored Benelli, has a bore dia of .723.

Rem 870 - .729" Bore Dia - .069" Constriction = .660" Exit Diameter
Benelli - .723" Bore Dia - .068" Constriction = .655" Exit Diameter

Thats some good info there, thanks.

allaboutshooting

Thanks

I've shot the H-13 chokes quite a bit at this point. I actually get the best performance from them with the Benelli Mobil Choke in my Nova. At this point, I've only shot 3" Hevi-13 shells with mainly #6 shot. I've seen good even patterns at 40 yards.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

allchokedup

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 14, 2011, 01:04:13 PM
Thanks

I've shot the H-13 chokes quite a bit at this point. I actually get the best performance from them with the Benelli Mobil Choke in my Nova. At this point, I've only shot 3" Hevi-13 shells with mainly #6 shot. I've seen good even patterns at 40 yards.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks Clark, I was wondering if that choke would hold up to Hevi 13's, I only shoot 3" shells anyway.

hd mike

I tried the Hevi Shot choke with my new SX3. Great patterns at 25 & 42 yds.
I shot the H-13,  3 1/2", #6.  I am going to try the #7 shot also.

StruttinGobbler3

I know you said you'd like to try something besides an IC, but my Supernova with a .665 IC with hevi 13 3" 2oz #6s regularly throws 235-240 pellets in 10" at 40 yards. Just something to think about.  :anim_25:
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

allchokedup

I had to try it, so I ordered the Hevi Shot choke and got it in today. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see if I like it. If not, I got an I/C choke standing by to put on it. I'm shooting some Hevi 13's # 7 and some W.extended 1 3/4 oz #6"s. It should be a good day for shooting tomrrow.
Thanks

ElkTurkMan

I'm using the hevi 13 choke in my 870, and I am extremely happy with.  I am shooting Hevi 13 3" 2oz #6's, and I got 181 in a ten circle at 40 yards.  Plenty good for me.

bird

Sweet Ryan.... Those look very Nice!!!

rebel

I love the Hevi Shot Chokes.. Have them in a few different guns and they pattern outstanding! Highy suggest them!

reynolds243

yeah i actually like the hevi choke in my Stoegers (benelli barrel) and it shoots the 6's 7's and magblends very well...actually better then the IC 665 i had for it previously.

the 656 hevi choke is a great choke for a benelli gun. I shot the JH 655 and 665 as well last year and the IC was better then both of them in my gun.

allaboutshooting

As time goes on and more and more hunters are reporting on the results they are seeing from the Hevi-13 Turkey chokes, I'm more and more impressed by them.

I've shot them all at my range with a variety of shotshells, and they all do well. I've also been able to get feedback from my readers who've purchased them from me and they report the same or similar results to what I've seen.

It's always good to hear from other sources in different parts of the country.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

cajunhunter

I purchased one of these Hevi-Shot Choke tubes for my  12ga. Benelli M2 today.  I am going to use it to pattern the HS #7s and the HS Blends. It says it is .667.